Nov 10, 2009, 6:11 PM EST
SI.com’s Jon Heyman tweets that the Phillies are “seriously considering” free agent Chone Figgins.
The 31-year-old speedster doesn’t figure to lack for options in free agency, particularly because he can play third base, center field and perhaps second. Figgins to the White Sox has been a popular rumor through the years, but GM Ken Williams has already shot down that possibility, saying the money won’t be there.
The Cubs and Yankees, both of whom could pursue center fielders, have also been spoken of as fits for Figgins. The Giants could use the quality leadoff man, but they’d either have to use him in left field or push Pablo Sandoval to first to make room for him. The Red Sox, Mets and Mariners would seem to be less likely suitors.
Philadelphia may end up as the Angels’ primary competition to keep the 2009 AL walks leader. Figgins is likely to seek a four-year deal worth somewhere around $12 million-$13 million per year. If the Phillies signed him, he should replace Jimmy Rollins as the team’s leadoff hitter. Shane Victorino could keep batting second, while Rollins takes his mediocre OBP to the seventh spot in the order behind Raul Ibanez.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)