Nov 10, 2009, 6:11 PM EDT
SI.com’s Jon Heyman tweets that the Phillies are “seriously considering” free agent Chone Figgins.
The 31-year-old speedster doesn’t figure to lack for options in free agency, particularly because he can play third base, center field and perhaps second. Figgins to the White Sox has been a popular rumor through the years, but GM Ken Williams has already shot down that possibility, saying the money won’t be there.
The Cubs and Yankees, both of whom could pursue center fielders, have also been spoken of as fits for Figgins. The Giants could use the quality leadoff man, but they’d either have to use him in left field or push Pablo Sandoval to first to make room for him. The Red Sox, Mets and Mariners would seem to be less likely suitors.
Philadelphia may end up as the Angels’ primary competition to keep the 2009 AL walks leader. Figgins is likely to seek a four-year deal worth somewhere around $12 million-$13 million per year. If the Phillies signed him, he should replace Jimmy Rollins as the team’s leadoff hitter. Shane Victorino could keep batting second, while Rollins takes his mediocre OBP to the seventh spot in the order behind Raul Ibanez.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (111)