Nov 10, 2009, 6:46 PM EDT
Angel Villalona is out of jail yet still facing murder charges in the Dominican Republic after paying the family of the man he allegedly killed $55,000 of an approx. $140,000 settlement, prosecutor Jose Antonio Polanco told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
Polanco said Villalona, one of the Giants’ top prospects, is expected to pay another $83,000 to the family of Mario Felix de Jesus Velete.
“The family … has behaved in an embarrassing manner because they now say that Villalona is not even the person involved in the death,” he said. “But the prosecution … will continue to pursue this case.”
Polanco added that the case is expected to be heard in about a month.
Villalona allegedly shot Velete in a bar on Sept. 19. He could face up to 20 years in prison if found guilty. A conviction, though, could be incredibly difficult to attain without the family’s cooperation, particularly if more of Villalona’s original $2.1 million signing bonus finds its way into the right hands.
While Villalona may well succeed in making the murder charges go away, one can hope it won’t be so easy for him to get a visa to play professionally in the United States next year. It’d be disgusting to see him resume his baseball career as though nothing ever happened.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)