Nov 11, 2009, 2:09 PM EDT
* Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos revealed that trading Roy Halladay within the division “will never be a stumbling block.” That’s a smart approach, if only because it’s tough to get maximum trade value for a big-name player without involving the Yankees and Red Sox to some extent.
* General manager Doug Melvin hinted yesterday that the Brewers may go young at catcher rather than re-sign veteran Jason Kendall. “We paid $5 million for the position in the past,” Melvin said. “I don’t know if we can do that again.” Milwaukee has a pair of upper-minors catching prospects in Jonathan Lucroy and Angel Salome, and Kendall hit just .241/.331/.305 this season.
* John Smoltz reiterated that he wants to pitch in 2010, and it sounds like both sides are open to another season in St. Louis after he posted a 4.26 ERA and 40/9 K/BB ratio in seven starts with the Cardinals following a brutal stint in the AL.
* Jermaine Dye admitted yesterday that “it doesn’t look good” for his chances of a sixth season with the White Sox after the team chose a $1 million buyout over his $12 million option for 2010.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 36
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 57
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)