Nov 11, 2009, 2:09 PM EDT
* Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos revealed that trading Roy Halladay within the division “will never be a stumbling block.” That’s a smart approach, if only because it’s tough to get maximum trade value for a big-name player without involving the Yankees and Red Sox to some extent.
* General manager Doug Melvin hinted yesterday that the Brewers may go young at catcher rather than re-sign veteran Jason Kendall. “We paid $5 million for the position in the past,” Melvin said. “I don’t know if we can do that again.” Milwaukee has a pair of upper-minors catching prospects in Jonathan Lucroy and Angel Salome, and Kendall hit just .241/.331/.305 this season.
* John Smoltz reiterated that he wants to pitch in 2010, and it sounds like both sides are open to another season in St. Louis after he posted a 4.26 ERA and 40/9 K/BB ratio in seven starts with the Cardinals following a brutal stint in the AL.
* Jermaine Dye admitted yesterday that “it doesn’t look good” for his chances of a sixth season with the White Sox after the team chose a $1 million buyout over his $12 million option for 2010.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (145)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)