Nov 11, 2009, 7:56 PM EDT
It looks likes Bobby Valentine will be spending 2010 doing studio work at ESPN, as the Nationals confirmed Wednesday that they’re sticking with Jim Riggleman as the manager for 2010.
Riggleman took over the team on an interim basis midway through last season, and the club improved from 26-61 under Manny Acta to 33-42 the rest of the way.
The Nationals are the fourth team Riggleman has managed. Overall, he’s 555-694, good for a .444 winning percentage. Just once in seven full seasons has he managed a contender; his 1998 Cubs beat the Giants in a one-game playoff to finish 90-73 before being swept by the Braves in the NLDS.
Riggleman and Valentine appeared to be the only serious candidates for job. The Nationals wanted to interview Dodgers hitting coach Don Mattingly, but he wasn’t interested. Former Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin was mentioned as a possibility, but he might actually be in line to take over as the team’s bench coach.
No one has ever accused the Nationals of making inspired choices, and they certainly took the cautious route here. Valentine would have brought moments of brilliance and occasional controversy. Riggleman will do neither, and that’s just fine with a Nationals organization still trying to distance itself from the Jim Bowden circus.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 74
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)