Nov 11, 2009, 8:46 PM EDT
Forget the Hall of Fame, Pete Rose has a new, far worthier cause to throw his lobbying efforts behind. Yes, that’s right, baseball’s all-time hit king is pushing for Playboy to feature his girlfriend in a pictorial.
“My girl has finally decided to try to shoot for Playboy, and they were kind enough to give her an opportunity to come to Houston next week for an interview, and we’re excited about that. She’s beautiful, she’s young, educated — there’s a lot of qualities.”
That’s Rose and his girlfriend – he hasn’t revealed her name – above at a Vitaly Klitschko bout in Los Angeles in September. Rose, who turns 69 in April, wasn’t shy about gushing about her in the interview, but did somehow keep his ego in check when asked about their age difference.
“Oh, no. You got to stay young, keep yourself young. And that’s all part of it. You know, I work in Vegas 17 days a month at The Field of Dreams store, and you know, my girl’s a real educated girl — she graduated from Arizona State. She had a very prestigious job several years ago when she was a flight attendant for Korean Airlines, which is really a big deal in Korea, and she’s Korean. And let’s just hope that the Playboy people like her, and if they don’t, that’s okay too. We’ll just turn the page and thank them for the opportunity.”
Rose notched the last of his 4,256 career hits back in 1986, yet he continues to impress. First Playboy, then Cooperstown? Whaddya think?
If I were a betting man, I’d say Rose eventually gets into the Hall of Fame, probably some day long after Bud Selig retires. But despite his girlfriend’s obvious attributes, including her aforementioned education and job history, I’m not sure a high quality publication like Playboy is right for her. (They gave us Kendra!) They’ve got standards over there, after all, and her boyfriend bet on baseball, which just isn’t right.
You can listen to the Rose interview here.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 29
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 85
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)