Nov 11, 2009, 12:40 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Phillies “are showing preliminary interest” in Fernando Rodney.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. has rightfully made upgrading the bullpen a priority this offseason, but as I wrote about earlier this week Rodney may not be the right guy to target.
His going 37-for-38 converting saves this season vastly overstates the effectiveness of a 33-year-old pitcher with a 4.28 career ERA, although it’s unclear if the Phillies would be looking at Rodney as a potential replacement for Brad Lidge at closer or merely as a compliment to Ryan Madson in the seventh and eighth innings. Either way, the shiny save totals are likely to make him significantly overpaid and there are far better setup options available.
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 5
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 12
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)