Nov 11, 2009, 12:40 PM EST
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Phillies “are showing preliminary interest” in Fernando Rodney.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. has rightfully made upgrading the bullpen a priority this offseason, but as I wrote about earlier this week Rodney may not be the right guy to target.
His going 37-for-38 converting saves this season vastly overstates the effectiveness of a 33-year-old pitcher with a 4.28 career ERA, although it’s unclear if the Phillies would be looking at Rodney as a potential replacement for Brad Lidge at closer or merely as a compliment to Ryan Madson in the seventh and eighth innings. Either way, the shiny save totals are likely to make him significantly overpaid and there are far better setup options available.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)