Nov 11, 2009, 12:40 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Phillies “are showing preliminary interest” in Fernando Rodney.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. has rightfully made upgrading the bullpen a priority this offseason, but as I wrote about earlier this week Rodney may not be the right guy to target.
His going 37-for-38 converting saves this season vastly overstates the effectiveness of a 33-year-old pitcher with a 4.28 career ERA, although it’s unclear if the Phillies would be looking at Rodney as a potential replacement for Brad Lidge at closer or merely as a compliment to Ryan Madson in the seventh and eighth innings. Either way, the shiny save totals are likely to make him significantly overpaid and there are far better setup options available.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)