Nov 11, 2009, 3:15 PM EDT
As a career .272/.344/.484 hitter with a good glove in center field Curtis Granderson is one of the better all-around players in the league. He’s also just 28 years old and under team control through 2013 at around $9 million per season.
All of that would seemingly make him a long-term building block in Detroit, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that “the Tigers have let teams know that Granderson could be had for the right package.”
Sherman naturally focuses on the Yankees’ potential interest, but any number of teams would likely line up for a shot at a 28-year-old who’s been worth an average of about 50 runs more than a replacement-level center fielder during the past four seasons.
Toss in various rumors about the Tigers shopping Edwin Jackson and it’s pretty clear that general manager Dave Dombrowski is suddenly working under some very tight payroll constraints. Not only did Detroit give Magglio Ordonez enough playing time down the stretch to trigger his $18 million for next season, the Tigers still have over $30 million committed to Dontrelle Willis, Jeremy Bonderman, and Nate Robertson.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 2
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)