Nov 11, 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd said yesterday that he’s not actively looking to trade Brad Hawpe, but admitted that he’s listening to offers for the 30-year-old outfielder just weeks after saying that “we have no desire to move him at all.”
Hawpe is signed for $7.5 million next season and the Rockies hold a $10 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2011, but he’s become expendable with Dexter Fowler, Carlos Gonzalez, and Seth Smith providing younger, cheaper outfield options.
His outfield defense is awful, but Hawpe could be an attractive target for contenders looking to add a big bat to the middle of the lineup. Over the past four seasons he’s hit .288/.384/.518 with an OPS above .875 every year, and while Coors Field has no doubt padded his overall numbers Hawpe has batted .280/.375/.489 on the road. He’s a lifetime .283 hitter with 25-homer power and excellent plate discipline, and is essentially signed to a two-year, $17.5 million deal.
Meanwhile, the Denver Post reports that the Rockies also “continue to explore trade prospects” for Garrett Atkins and plan to release him if they can’t find a taker by November 20. Unlike with Hawpe, the market for Atkins figures to be non-existent. Or at least it should be. Saunders lists the Phillies, Angels, Rangers, and Orioles as possibly having interest, but over the past four seasons his OPS has dropped from .965 to .853 to .780 to .650 and he’s a career .252/.324/.411 hitter away from Coors Field.
Toss in poor defense at third base and Atkins is no longer starting material, let alone worth trading for and taking to arbitration following a season in which he earned $7 million. If the Rockies are interested in dealing Hawpe they should have no problem finding a taker willing to part with a decent prospect or two, but look for Atkins to hit the open market next week after being released. He’s now just a shell of the guy who hit .329/.406/.556 with 29 homers and 120 RBIs in 2006.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)