Scott Boras continues to be full of it

Nov 11, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT

The uber-agent on his free agent client, Johnny Damon:

“His durability is off the charts,” Boras said, referring to Damon’s
streak of 14 straight seasons with 140-plus games played.
“Chronological age does not have anything to do with a player of his
genetics. Certainly you have to look at the Yankees’ history and what
they’ve paid players of his like age who maybe did not have his
genetics.”

I’ll grant Boras that no player technically has Damon’s genetics insofar as, last I checked, he doesn’t have an identical twin playing baseball. But it sounds to me that what Boras is really saying is “given that I represent the top free agent left fielder in Matt Holliday, it would be a conflict of interest for me to say that Johnny Damon is the best candidate for the Yankees, so I have made up some B.S. metric called “genetics” with which to differentiate him.”

Which is clever, but it still boils down to the guy demanding top dollar over multiple years for a 36 year-old player, and that doesn’t make a ton of sense.  What does make sense is for the Yankees to re-sign Damon to a shorter deal for more reasonable dollars. Given Boras’ genetics, however, he is incapable of saying that, even if it’s what his client really wants.

1. Old Gator - Nov 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Speaking of genetics, clowns have no sex lives, but reproduce through a mitotic process known as bufogenesis, which may account for Boras’ “longevity” to whatever extent greed does not account for it by itself. Bufogenesis should not, incidentally, be confused with bufogenin, the active toxin in the skin secretion of our giant toads. But I sometimes get the feeling that Boras exudes that too.

2. jonny5 - Nov 11, 2009 at 12:09 PM

“it still boils down to the guy demanding top dollar over multiple years for a 36 year-old player, and that doesn’t make a ton of sense.”
    When you’re a player or Agent it sure does make a ton of sense. To the Yankees??? Maybe not so much. One thing is for certain, Damon is very good now. In 4-5 more years??? I doubt it.

3. comeonman - Nov 11, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Yeah, what Old Gator said……….
    What is Boras supposed to say, ” fellas, give me anything you want for Johnny, he is so drunk happy about the world series win he will take anything and me being his agent will accept whatever you suggest………….
    The YANKEES should offer two years @ 9 million per year, they are
    competing against themselves and Damon knows it so he will tell Boras,” shut up and run ALL YANKEE offers by me.

4. ofus - Nov 11, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Scott Boras will push Damon out of the Yankee bus while it’s still moving. Yankees are currently overstocked with OFs, [Xavier Nady in the wings, not to mention Matt Halliday making interesting comments]. No reason to sign Damon for a DH as Matsui [and eventually Posada will ease into that role]. Good luck to John – he’ll take Boras bucks to sign with Tampa, or back to KC.
    He’ll be this year’s Wade Boggs.

5. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Nov 11, 2009 at 1:31 PM

He’s a good hitter, but a terrible terrible fielder. A one year deal with a team option for a second could be valuable to the Yanks if they can’t make a reasonable deal with Holliday, but anything guaranteed beyond a year is just asking for trouble.
    @comeonman

The YANKEES should offer two years @ 9 million per year, they are

If they are competing against themselves, why offer him so much money? One year for $9M is fine, but no way they offer two (at least they shouldn’t).

6. tbs - Nov 11, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Sammy Sosa’s face appears to have interesting genetics these days too.

7. comeonman - Nov 11, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Do you really think Damon would take a offer from Kansas City and who will bat in the 2 hole for the Yanks, need I remind you who stole two bases to get a important game 4 victory, come on man.

8. comeonman - Nov 11, 2009 at 2:16 PM

9 Million is market value,,,,,,, ok offer 1 year @ 9 million
    Something tell’s me that Matt Holiday will not be a good fit for NY
    Matsui will be coming back as DH, the YANKEES NEED HIM FOR THE Japan Market, do you know how many dark blue yankees hats are
    in TOKYO, CHA CHING BUDDY !!!

9. ofus - Nov 11, 2009 at 4:55 PM

look up Nady’s stats for his last 2 years prior to 09. Having had a year off to recover, he should be fresh as a daisy and ready to get back in the game. Terrific arm – way better than Damon, runs just as well.

10. scatterbrian - Nov 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM

And the award for Irrelevant Point of the Day goes to comeonman!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3880)