Nov 12, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
* Bobby Valentine revealed that he was “baffled” by the Nationals’ interview process and decision to choose Jim Riggleman over him for the manager job. “I’m pretty sure they had Jim in their back pockets the whole time,” Valentine said.
* Asked about rumors that the Tigers are being forced to shop Curtis Granderson and Edwin Jackson because of payroll constraints, general manager Dave Dombrowski said: “We’re not having a fire sale.” Of course, no one really accused Detroit of holding a fire sale and he didn’t deny anything specific regarding Granderson or Jackson.
* Jason Schmidt is keeping his options open, but will likely retire after spending the past three years unsuccessfully coming back from shoulder surgery. Schmidt won just three games during his three-year, $47 million contract with the Dodgers after going 78-37 with a 3.36 ERA over six seasons for the rival Giants.
* Now that Ken Griffey Jr. is back in Seattle for at least one more season, Greg Johns of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer examines how far the future Hall of Famer can move up various all-time leaderboards.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 11
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 26
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (109)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)