Nov 12, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
* Bobby Valentine revealed that he was “baffled” by the Nationals’ interview process and decision to choose Jim Riggleman over him for the manager job. “I’m pretty sure they had Jim in their back pockets the whole time,” Valentine said.
* Asked about rumors that the Tigers are being forced to shop Curtis Granderson and Edwin Jackson because of payroll constraints, general manager Dave Dombrowski said: “We’re not having a fire sale.” Of course, no one really accused Detroit of holding a fire sale and he didn’t deny anything specific regarding Granderson or Jackson.
* Jason Schmidt is keeping his options open, but will likely retire after spending the past three years unsuccessfully coming back from shoulder surgery. Schmidt won just three games during his three-year, $47 million contract with the Dodgers after going 78-37 with a 3.36 ERA over six seasons for the rival Giants.
* Now that Ken Griffey Jr. is back in Seattle for at least one more season, Greg Johns of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer examines how far the future Hall of Famer can move up various all-time leaderboards.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)