Nov 12, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* Brandon Webb threw yesterday for the first time since August shoulder surgery, playing catch on flat ground from 60 feet for about 15 minutes. “No problems and no pain,” Webb said afterward. “I was very encouraged.” Last week the Diamondbacks exercised their $8.5 million option on Webb for 2010 and the hope is that he’ll be ready for spring training.
* Scratched from his start in the Arizona Fall League’s televised “Rising Stars Game” over the weekend because of a strained neck, Stephen Strasburg is now scheduled to get back on the mound Sunday.
* Glen Perkins and the Twins have reached a settlement on the grievance that he filed over suppressed service time. The two sides had been scheduled for a Friday hearing in New York. Perkins remains a strong candidate to be traded this offseason.
* Steven Soderbergh stepping away from the project put the Moneyball movie in flux, but 500 Days of Summer director Marc Webb and Capote director Bennett Miller are reportedly now under consideration to take over the Brad Pitt vehicle.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 27
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (114)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)