Nov 12, 2009, 11:50 AM EST
* Brandon Webb threw yesterday for the first time since August shoulder surgery, playing catch on flat ground from 60 feet for about 15 minutes. “No problems and no pain,” Webb said afterward. “I was very encouraged.” Last week the Diamondbacks exercised their $8.5 million option on Webb for 2010 and the hope is that he’ll be ready for spring training.
* Scratched from his start in the Arizona Fall League’s televised “Rising Stars Game” over the weekend because of a strained neck, Stephen Strasburg is now scheduled to get back on the mound Sunday.
* Glen Perkins and the Twins have reached a settlement on the grievance that he filed over suppressed service time. The two sides had been scheduled for a Friday hearing in New York. Perkins remains a strong candidate to be traded this offseason.
* Steven Soderbergh stepping away from the project put the Moneyball movie in flux, but 500 Days of Summer director Marc Webb and Capote director Bennett Miller are reportedly now under consideration to take over the Brad Pitt vehicle.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)