Nov 12, 2009, 10:44 AM EDT
Yesterday the Pioneer Press reported that contract talks between the Twins and Joe Mauer had begun.
Joe Mauer, on the phone to the Star-Tribune last night: “I’ve been thinking about things like that, but to tell you the truth, we haven’t really started [negotiating with the Twins].”
I suppose we could parse the definition of the word “really” here, but if I had to guess I’d say that the Pioneer Press overstated things. This is the sort of stuff that happens during the crazy season (i.e. hot stove time).
All we know for sure right now is what Aaron said yesterday: The Twins say they want to keep Mauer, but they haven’t gone all out to pay their own top dollar since Kirby Puckett roamed the Earth. And that was when top dollar was $3 million a year.
Ultimately this process rests in Joe Mauer’s hands. Nothing will happen until he decides whether or not he’s going to shoot for the biggest possible bucks or, alternatively, do something creative and likely below market to stay in Minnesota.
I think he’ll ultimately do the latter, but right now there’s nothin’ really new.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 23
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 40
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)