OK, so maybe the Twins and Mauer aren't talking yet

Nov 12, 2009, 10:44 AM EST

Yesterday the Pioneer Press reported that contract talks between the Twins and Joe Mauer had begun.

Joe Mauer, on the phone to the Star-Tribune last night: “I’ve been thinking about things like that, but to tell you the truth, we haven’t really started [negotiating with the Twins].”

I suppose we could parse the definition of the word “really” here, but if I had to guess I’d say that the Pioneer Press overstated things.  This is the sort of stuff that happens during the crazy season (i.e. hot stove time).

All we know for sure right now is what Aaron said yesterday: The Twins say they want to keep Mauer, but they haven’t gone all out to pay their own top dollar since Kirby Puckett roamed the Earth. And that was when top dollar was $3 million a year.

Ultimately this process rests in Joe Mauer’s hands. Nothing will happen until he decides whether or not he’s going to shoot for the biggest possible bucks or, alternatively, do something creative and likely below market to stay in Minnesota.

I think he’ll ultimately do the latter, but right now there’s nothin’ really new.

1. Eric - Nov 12, 2009 at 11:05 AM

If you read the Pioneer Press article, Walters never says he talked to anyone or how he knows the two sides were supposedly negotiating. He usually almost literally makes things up like this – I take it with a grain of salt when sites like MLBtraderumors.com quotes one of his articles as if it’s news that’s actually happening. The Strib writer actually talked to Mauer to confirm what was happening (imagine that!) and got the real answer.

2. YankeesfanLen - Nov 12, 2009 at 11:09 AM

What’sthere to talk about? Mauer and Morneau will continue to terrorize the Tigers in ’10, then Mauer will replace Posada in ’11.

3. jimbo - Nov 12, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Anytime ‘Shooter’ Walters is quoted, don’t believe it

4. Kendall - Nov 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM

And this is exactly why people hate the Yankees. It is one thing for the yankees to sign free agent players — they have they money, they can spend it. But fans get sick of hearing yankee fans and red sox fans taking possession of other team’s players before they are even free agents. Can’t you at least wait until Mauer becomes a free agent before you claim him as Posada’s replacement?

5. Mode - Nov 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I hear what you’re saying Kendall, but if his comment was just signed “Len,” you might think it was a disgusted Twins fan lamenting the fact that this is possible/probable.
    I thought he was trying to be funny by using the “Yankees buy everyone” meme for laughs.
    If you’re right about Len’s meaning, then I agree with you. And I am a Yankees fan.
    If only there were little smiley face things we could use to show our emotions on a particular thought. Nah that’d be too cheesy.

6. comeonman - Nov 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Dude, why WASTE time and you will NEVER WIN THERE, we have BUCKETS OF MONEY FOR YOU, WHAT SIZE RING DO YOU WHERE, DO YOU LIKE GIRLS, JUST TELL DEREK WHO YOU LIKE, HE WILL HOOK YOU UP KID, YOU SEE HIS ARM CANDY. DUDE, FAKE A INJURY CHILL OUT THIS YEAR AND JOIN US IN 2011, YOU WON’T REGRET IT, WE MADE A-ROD A WINNER, YOU SEE HIS GIRL, YOU SEE JAY Z KILLIN IT IN A CONCERT BEFORE THE GAME, WHO DOES THAT, THE YANKEES KID, SO WHEN CAN YOU GET HERE, CALL CASH MAN.
    DEREK WILL GET YOU AT THE AIRPORT, NO WORRIES MAN WE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU, WHAT SIZE RING DID YOU SAY.
    THE YANKEES ARE CHAPIONS OF BASEBALL……… AGAIN

7. comeonman - Nov 12, 2009 at 1:05 PM

TOO BAD, I WON’T APOLOGIZE FOR A GREAT OWNERSHIP AND GREAT PLAYERS.
    STOP BEING CHEAP, AND PAY YOUR GUYS, STOP WHINING AND CRYING!!!
    GO PLAY WITH THE OTHER GIRLS, JUMP ROPE, PLAY WITH DOLLS WHATEVER BUT STOP WATCHIN BASEBALL, THERE IS NO CRYING.BUCKET LOADS OF MONEY.
    THE YANKEES ARE CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL,,,,AGAIN!!!!!!

8. mick-7-1961 - Nov 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Get ready to become a Yankee, Joey.
    We’ll DH Posada and you’ll fill in quite nicely behind the plate.
    Welcome to Yankee Universe :>)

9. comeonman - Nov 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM

FOR ALL THE CRYERS, I TELL YOU WHAT , WRITE A LETTER TO BUD AND ASK HIM TO SIT THE YANKEES FOR A YEAR AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO BASEBALL.
    WE RUN BASEBALL, I DON’T APOLOGIZE AT ALL FOR THIS, SORRY.

10. tadthebad - Nov 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Last week, at Craig’s other spot, didn’t Len write that he’s not a typical, arrogant Yankees fan. Then there’s comeonman, who’s clearly delusional and arrogant…gotta love the “we” reference as well. Tell me, what is your jersey number?

11. Kendall - Nov 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I never said there was a problem with Yankees’ owners or management. I will say that I don’t think their financial success is due to the wonderful leadership of Mr. Steinbrenner, but rather a result of their history and the fact that they play in the largest media market in the country. You don’t think the Twins would be spending money and winning crazy championships if they had those advantages? What if the Yankees played in Kansas City? Do you think Steinbrenner would be spending his OWN money to sign these free agents? Do you think he would run his business in the red to sign great players? If you do, well then, you are a fool.
    But thank you very much for proving my point. The point of my original post is that there is nothing wrong with the Yankees or most of their fans. SOME of their fans annoy the fans of other baseball teams by slapping the pinstripes on players that aren’t even free agents yet. You think that if the Yankees sign Joe Mauer it will make you a better person because it will make the Yankees a better team. But no, comeonman, you will still be the same classless douchebag you are today.

12. Kevin S. - Nov 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM

YankeesfanLen was almost certainly being satirical there. He’s not a typical arrogant Yankee fan.

13. Kelly - Nov 12, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Mauer will be a Twin. As far as I’m concerned, they need to hand him a contract and let him fill in the money and the years he’d like and then say, “Thank you very much, sir.”
    Shove a stadium down the public’s throat, the least they can do is populate with possibly the greatest catcher of the modern era.

14. Jonathon Gullette - Jan 17, 2010 at 6:14 AM

That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

15. Aileen Duhart - Jan 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work.

16. Sporting News - Jan 31, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the latest stuff you post.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester