Zambrano's mother recovered, but everyone's still antsy about Venezuela

Nov 12, 2009, 10:01 AM EDT

Victor Zambrano’s mother was recovered from kidnappers in Venezuela on Tuesday.  That’s good.  The threat to anyone connected with Major League Baseball, however, remains the same: if they think you can pay a ransom, your family is subject to kidnappers.  That’s bad!  So bad that the Mets are considering asking their catching prospect Josh Thole to return home from his winter league team there.

Whether Thole — a young, not-yet-rich American who presumably has no family in Venezuela – faces the kind of threat that rich, native Venezuelan starts like Zambrano and Yorvit Torrealba do is an open question. I mean, it’s my uneducated guess that these kinds of people don’t want to risk the kind of heat that would come down if they started picking up random U.S. citizens, but who the hell knows?

What I do know, though, is that if I were running a Major League team I’d (a) do everything I could to persuade my Venezuelan players to relocate their families; and (b) I’d probably not want anyone playing in the Venezuelan winter leagues.  Baseball simply ain’t worth this kind of thing.

1. Old Gator - Nov 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Construye socialism Bolivariano!

2. Old Gator - Nov 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Whoops, ‘scuse me – socialismo.

3. kirk - Nov 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I am sorry to hear tht Victor Zambrano is the victim of a second kidnapping. The first time he was kidnapped, his career / major league talent disappeared. Now his mother. What other misfortunes lie ahead for this guy.
    I think the real victim in the first kidnapping was all Mets Fans.

4. Ron - Nov 12, 2009 at 5:08 PM

But Hugo claims it’s a worker’s paradise. Are you saying he’s mispreprented something?

5. Jberardi - Nov 13, 2009 at 4:03 AM

The toppings contain potassium benzoate… that’s bad!

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3950)