Nov 13, 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
Ken Davidoff of New York Newsday reports that “the Angels and Tigers have conversed about a Curtis Granderson trade, even though the Angels already have an All-Star center fielder in Torii Hunter.”
Apparently the Angels are interested in using Granderson in left field, with Bobby Abreu in right field and Juan Rivera at designated hitter. That would leave free agent Vladimir Guerrero without a position and seemingly rule out his re-signing with the Angels, although Davidoff notes that the team could also look to trade Rivera.
Granderson is one of the better all-around players in the league, but a huge portion of his value comes from playing a strong center field defensively while being a plus offensively. Certainly his glove would remain an asset in left field, but the move would likely lessen his defensive impact and when compared to left fielders rather than center fielders his bat would stand out far less.
In other words, it seems unlikely that the team ultimately presenting the Tigers with the best possible trade offer for Granderson would be doing so with the intention of making him a corner outfielder. Certainly adding Granderson would make the Angels better, but he’d be a bigger upgrade for several other contending teams and the Yankees in particular seem like a logical fit if the Tigers are truly in sell mode.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)