Nov 13, 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
Ken Davidoff of New York Newsday reports that “the Angels and Tigers have conversed about a Curtis Granderson trade, even though the Angels already have an All-Star center fielder in Torii Hunter.”
Apparently the Angels are interested in using Granderson in left field, with Bobby Abreu in right field and Juan Rivera at designated hitter. That would leave free agent Vladimir Guerrero without a position and seemingly rule out his re-signing with the Angels, although Davidoff notes that the team could also look to trade Rivera.
Granderson is one of the better all-around players in the league, but a huge portion of his value comes from playing a strong center field defensively while being a plus offensively. Certainly his glove would remain an asset in left field, but the move would likely lessen his defensive impact and when compared to left fielders rather than center fielders his bat would stand out far less.
In other words, it seems unlikely that the team ultimately presenting the Tigers with the best possible trade offer for Granderson would be doing so with the intention of making him a corner outfielder. Certainly adding Granderson would make the Angels better, but he’d be a bigger upgrade for several other contending teams and the Yankees in particular seem like a logical fit if the Tigers are truly in sell mode.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)