Nov 13, 2009, 11:45 AM EST
Ken Davidoff of New York Newsday reports that “the Angels and Tigers have conversed about a Curtis Granderson trade, even though the Angels already have an All-Star center fielder in Torii Hunter.”
Apparently the Angels are interested in using Granderson in left field, with Bobby Abreu in right field and Juan Rivera at designated hitter. That would leave free agent Vladimir Guerrero without a position and seemingly rule out his re-signing with the Angels, although Davidoff notes that the team could also look to trade Rivera.
Granderson is one of the better all-around players in the league, but a huge portion of his value comes from playing a strong center field defensively while being a plus offensively. Certainly his glove would remain an asset in left field, but the move would likely lessen his defensive impact and when compared to left fielders rather than center fielders his bat would stand out far less.
In other words, it seems unlikely that the team ultimately presenting the Tigers with the best possible trade offer for Granderson would be doing so with the intention of making him a corner outfielder. Certainly adding Granderson would make the Angels better, but he’d be a bigger upgrade for several other contending teams and the Yankees in particular seem like a logical fit if the Tigers are truly in sell mode.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)