Nov 13, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT
Following up on John Wetteland’s hospitalization yesterday, MLB.com is now reporting that Wetteland was released last night. Yesterday, the local sheriff called it a “mental health issue.” It’s also been reported that he was complaining of being depressed and contemplating suicide. Meanwhile, anonymous sources in the Mariners organization dispute the notion that there was a suicide risk. Last night Wetteland released a statement suggesting that it wasn’t a mental thing at all:
“Thank you for your concerns. My wife and I are very appreciative of the over and above care of our local officers and paramedics. The circumstances leading to my elevated blood pressure and heart rate have been addressed. I am currently resting safely at home.”
His medical condition is his own business, but it’s probably worth noting that elevated blood pressure and heart rate are symptoms of all kinds of medical conditions, including some mental health issues, so who knows what the problem was? That said, if Wetteland really did experience some kind of serious mental episode it’s really unlikely that he’d be released on the same day he was admitted. You usually don’t just get to go home a few hours after telling the cops that you want to drop a toaster in your tub.
Maybe his ticker went haywire. Maybe he just lost it for a few minutes. Either way, it’s good that he’s home, and here’s hoping he’s better or at least on the way to being better.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead