John Wetteland released from the hospital, cites blood pressure and heart rate as the problem

Nov 13, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT

Following up on John Wetteland’s hospitalization yesterday, MLB.com is now reporting that Wetteland was released last night.  Yesterday, the local sheriff called it a “mental health issue.”  It’s also been reported that he was complaining of being depressed and contemplating suicide. Meanwhile, anonymous sources in the Mariners organization dispute the notion that there was a suicide risk. Last night Wetteland released a statement suggesting that it wasn’t a mental thing at all:

“Thank you for your concerns. My wife and I are very appreciative of the over and above care of our local officers and paramedics. The circumstances leading to my elevated blood pressure and heart rate have been addressed. I am currently resting safely at home.”

His medical condition is his own business, but it’s probably worth noting that elevated blood pressure and heart rate are symptoms of all kinds of medical conditions, including some mental health issues, so who knows what the problem was?  That said, if Wetteland really did experience some kind of serious mental episode it’s really unlikely that he’d be released on the same day he was admitted.  You usually don’t just get to go home a few hours after telling the cops that you want to drop a toaster in your tub.

Maybe his ticker went haywire. Maybe he just lost it for a few minutes.  Either way, it’s good that he’s home, and here’s hoping he’s better or at least on the way to being better.

1. ecp - Nov 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Panic attacks can cause rapid heartbeat and elevated blood pressure, and are considered a “mental issue.” They are also ridiculously scary and can feel like you’re having a heart attack, so a call to 911 would not be out of the question. The report that he was suicidal may have been mistaken or exaggerated.

2. BC - Nov 13, 2009 at 11:05 AM

ECP, you’re 100% correct. I’ve had panic attacks so severe that I indeed thought I was having a heart attack and called 911. With proper medication you generally can control it.

3. TC - Nov 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM

“You usually don’t just get to go home a few hours after telling the cops that you want to drop a toaster in your tub.”
    Untrue. Without going into so many details about such things, a person may tell the cops he was contemplating suicide, get taken to a psychiatric facility. He arrives there, in back of the police car, around 2AM, and is home before dawn. Just like that.
    As for panic attacks and anxiety meds: I affirm both ecp’s and BC’s statements.

4. scatterbrian - Nov 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Not sure if it’s a state-by-state thing, but I’m pretty sure that people hospitalized for suicidal thoughts are put into 72-hour lockdown.

5. scatterbrian - Nov 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM

*in California

6. Rob - Dec 11, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Hi there. Another decent message, i enjoy returning at your place and checking your carefully edited excerpts.

7. Interminds Events - Jan 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Good Post. I hope you don’t mind me posting here. I love your site, I’ll be back for your next piece

8. SusanneMurphy - Jun 2, 2010 at 4:15 AM

That’s known that cash makes us disembarrass. But how to act when somebody doesn’t have money? The one way only is to get the loan and college loan.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3986)