Nov 13, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Texas Rangers are interested in Vlad Guerrero. Makes all kinds of sense. The Rangers obviously want and need a DH, as evidenced by their recent flirtation with the idea of bringing back Milton Bradley. Also, as Rosenthal notes, Vald has killed the ball in Texas. Of course, a lot of that has to do with the fact that he’s faced some truly awful Ranger pitching there over the years and won’t get to do that if he’s, you know, playing for them, but we’ll let that go for a moment.
But the money. Vlad wouldn’t seem like a total bank-buster — Rosenthal says he’s inspired by Abreu’s two-year, $19 million deal, which may not be unreasonable for Guerrero — but almost any real amount of money is unreasonable for the strapped Rangers these days. They’re on MLB welfare for cryin’ out loud.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)