Nov 13, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Texas Rangers are interested in Vlad Guerrero. Makes all kinds of sense. The Rangers obviously want and need a DH, as evidenced by their recent flirtation with the idea of bringing back Milton Bradley. Also, as Rosenthal notes, Vald has killed the ball in Texas. Of course, a lot of that has to do with the fact that he’s faced some truly awful Ranger pitching there over the years and won’t get to do that if he’s, you know, playing for them, but we’ll let that go for a moment.
But the money. Vlad wouldn’t seem like a total bank-buster — Rosenthal says he’s inspired by Abreu’s two-year, $19 million deal, which may not be unreasonable for Guerrero — but almost any real amount of money is unreasonable for the strapped Rangers these days. They’re on MLB welfare for cryin’ out loud.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)