Nov 13, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Texas Rangers are interested in Vlad Guerrero. Makes all kinds of sense. The Rangers obviously want and need a DH, as evidenced by their recent flirtation with the idea of bringing back Milton Bradley. Also, as Rosenthal notes, Vald has killed the ball in Texas. Of course, a lot of that has to do with the fact that he’s faced some truly awful Ranger pitching there over the years and won’t get to do that if he’s, you know, playing for them, but we’ll let that go for a moment.
But the money. Vlad wouldn’t seem like a total bank-buster — Rosenthal says he’s inspired by Abreu’s two-year, $19 million deal, which may not be unreasonable for Guerrero — but almost any real amount of money is unreasonable for the strapped Rangers these days. They’re on MLB welfare for cryin’ out loud.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)