Nov 13, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Texas Rangers are interested in Vlad Guerrero. Makes all kinds of sense. The Rangers obviously want and need a DH, as evidenced by their recent flirtation with the idea of bringing back Milton Bradley. Also, as Rosenthal notes, Vald has killed the ball in Texas. Of course, a lot of that has to do with the fact that he’s faced some truly awful Ranger pitching there over the years and won’t get to do that if he’s, you know, playing for them, but we’ll let that go for a moment.
But the money. Vlad wouldn’t seem like a total bank-buster — Rosenthal says he’s inspired by Abreu’s two-year, $19 million deal, which may not be unreasonable for Guerrero — but almost any real amount of money is unreasonable for the strapped Rangers these days. They’re on MLB welfare for cryin’ out loud.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 9
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 151
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39