Alfonzo wants one last shot with Mets

Nov 14, 2009, 11:43 AM EDT

alfonzo.jpgAccording to Kevin Kernan of the New York Post, Edgardo Alfonzo wants one more shot to end his career with the Mets.

“My dream is to retire with the Mets colors,” Alfonzo said. “That’s my
dream. That’s what I’m praying for, maybe it will happen, maybe not,
but dreams sometimes come true, you know.

Alfonzo is a beloved Met, having
spent eight seasons with the club, including their World Series run in
2000. Now 36 years old, he hasn’t played in the majors since 2006 as a
member of the Blue Jays. Since then, he’s had quite the road map, making
stops with the Long Island Ducks, the Mexican League, the Venezuelan
winter league and most recently this season, as a member of the Yomiuri
Giants in Japan. Alfonzo has a .284/.357/.425 line and 1532 career hits in the majors, but hasn’t
had more than 87 at-bats in a season since 2005.

“I’m prepared for anything,” Alfonzo said earlier this week. “Baseball
is the one thing in my life that I know how to do. I don’t expect to
play every day, but I feel I can help anytime. I can say many things
with my mouth, but I have to prove it.”

That Alfonzo wants another shot is
fine. Heck, I’ll root for the guy. Bring him to Port St. Lucie and see
what he can do. The Mets owe him that much. However, Kernan doesn’t just give credence to the idea
of a comeback, he outright endorses it, writing that Alfonzo could
“offer some guidance and wisdom to a team that lacked baseball common
sense” and that “he could toss some helpful advice David Wright’s way.”

What? That he shouldn’t sign with
the Giants? Listen, I’m often guilty of using my heart instead of my
head, that’s what fans do, but the notion that he can flip some sort of switch on this team
is patently ridiculous.

1. GimmeSomeSteel - Nov 14, 2009 at 3:16 PM

While I agree that “the notion that he can flip some sort of switch on this team is patently ridiculous”, he probably can’t hurt this trainwreck of a team and may be able to show them a few things about things like work ethic and keeping one’s mouth closed when there’s nothing constructive to be said.
    However, the team doesn’t owe him anything. He left on his own terms and can’t expect a free ride. IMO he was one of those guys who was severely overrated even in his prime due to where he played, and he’s long since in his prime.

2. JBerardi - Nov 14, 2009 at 3:18 PM

“My dream is to retire with the Mets colors”

Wow. Aim high, I guess…

3. D.J. Short - Nov 14, 2009 at 3:20 PM

“Owe” is probably the wrong word, but as a beloved player in team history, they should invite him in, let him wear the uniform, let him announce his retirement formally and keep him on as some sort of instructor in the organization. With the hires of Tuefel and Backman, it seems like the Mets are finally starting to “get it” when it comes to their history.

4. Tall Paul - Nov 15, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Which, I suppose, means he’s exactly what the Gints are usually signing: has-beens.

5. jwb - Nov 17, 2009 at 2:25 AM

Alfonzo spent all but six weeks last season in the Yomiuri Giants’ minor league system.
    He was pretty in limited playing time with the Giants.
    He has almost no chance of being a useful player on a major league team next season. However, the cost of an NRI is minimal, so why not give him one?

6. jwb - Nov 17, 2009 at 2:29 AM

*Pretty lousy. Or pretty bad. Or pretty awful.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3686)