Nov 14, 2009, 5:43 PM EDT
We’re just one week away from when
the free agency floodgates open, meaning that we’re in the calm before
the Hot Stove storm. Here’s a few links to keep you busy on this
– David Lennon of Newsday writes that the Mets intend to be serious bidders for free agent starter John Lackey.
General manager Omar Minaya received a ‘favorable first impression’
from Lackey’s agent Steve Hilliard when the two spoke this week. Lennon
compares the potential pursuit of Lackey to that of Francisco Rodriguez
last December, but the Mets figure to have more competition this
offseason as he is the top starter available in the free agent market.
– FOXSports.com reports that the Nationals are drawing strong trade interest in outfielder Josh Willingham,
with the Braves among the interested parties. Willingham, 30, batted
.260/.367/.496 with 24 homers, 61 RBI and a career-high .863 OPS in
2009 after starting the season as the team’s fifth outfielder.
Willingham is under team control through 2011 and earned $2.95 million
– No surprise, Joe Smith of the St. Petersburg Times says the New York Baseball Digest report suggesting that Carl Crawford wants out of Tampa Bay doesn’t add up.
– According to FOXSports.com, the Brewers talked about sending J.J. Hardy to the Pirates, but weren’t interested in Ryan Doumit or Matt Capps.
Instead, the Brewers tried to upgrade their starting pitching, asking
for either Paul Maholm or Zach Duke. After the Pirates refused, the
Brewers sent Hardy to the Twins for Carlos Gomez.
– And finally, for some levity, according to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, Lance Berkman had a dream that he was traded to the Mets. Hey, it probably has a better chance of happening than many of the ‘silly season’ rumors we’ve heard this week.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 28
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)