Nov 15, 2009, 10:34 AM EDT
Making his first Arizona Fall League start in 12 days, Nationals prospect Stephen Strasburg blanked the Peoria Saguaros over 3 1/3 innings on Saturday, allowing just one hit while striking out six and walking two.
Strasburg tossed 36 of 64 pitches
for strikes while his fastball was clocked as high as 99 mph. The
20-year-old was scheduled to pitch last Saturday’s “Rising Stars Game,”
but was scratched after suffering a stiff neck.
“It was a good day. My goal was just to go out there and pound it in the strike zone,” Strasburg said.
Strasburg’s 4.26 ERA over 19 innings
might not jump out at you, but take out one hiccup against Peoria on
October 22 (seven runs allowed in 2 2/3 innings) and he is a much more
impressive 4-0 with a 1.10 ERA. Strasburg’s four wins lead the AFL,
while his 23 strikeouts in 19 innings ranks third.
While Strasburg was denied the stage
of the “Rising Stars Game,” his next start will most likely come in
next Saturday’s AFL championship game. Strasburg’s team, the Phoenix
Desert Dogs, have a four-game lead on the Eastern division title with
five games left on the docket.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)