Nov 15, 2009, 10:34 AM EDT
Making his first Arizona Fall League start in 12 days, Nationals prospect Stephen Strasburg blanked the Peoria Saguaros over 3 1/3 innings on Saturday, allowing just one hit while striking out six and walking two.
Strasburg tossed 36 of 64 pitches
for strikes while his fastball was clocked as high as 99 mph. The
20-year-old was scheduled to pitch last Saturday’s “Rising Stars Game,”
but was scratched after suffering a stiff neck.
“It was a good day. My goal was just to go out there and pound it in the strike zone,” Strasburg said.
Strasburg’s 4.26 ERA over 19 innings
might not jump out at you, but take out one hiccup against Peoria on
October 22 (seven runs allowed in 2 2/3 innings) and he is a much more
impressive 4-0 with a 1.10 ERA. Strasburg’s four wins lead the AFL,
while his 23 strikeouts in 19 innings ranks third.
While Strasburg was denied the stage
of the “Rising Stars Game,” his next start will most likely come in
next Saturday’s AFL championship game. Strasburg’s team, the Phoenix
Desert Dogs, have a four-game lead on the Eastern division title with
five games left on the docket.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)