Nov 16, 2009, 3:26 PM EDT
One of the many things that make offseason rumors so frustrating to follow is that even the most respected names in the baseball reporting business often vary wildly on what they’re reporting.
Today provides a good example, as Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com writes that “the Yankees, who need a left fielder, are interested” in Matt Holliday while Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that the Yankees “are not interested in signing Holliday” because “corner outfield not a priority for them.”
Two completely contradictory reports about the exact same player coming from two well-sourced, highly respected national reporters on the very same day.
If you choose to believe Morosi, then it’s worth noting that his article about Holliday also suggests that he’s not particularly loyal to the Cardinals after spending just a few months in St. Louis and is likely to end up with an American League team. In fact, Morosi concludes his lengthy piece by writing: “I’m almost certain that means he will be playing left field for the Red Sox, Yankees, or Angels.”
Unless of course Olney’s report is actually the correct one, in which case … well, who knows?
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 59
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 27
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)