Nov 16, 2009, 3:26 PM EDT
One of the many things that make offseason rumors so frustrating to follow is that even the most respected names in the baseball reporting business often vary wildly on what they’re reporting.
Today provides a good example, as Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com writes that “the Yankees, who need a left fielder, are interested” in Matt Holliday while Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that the Yankees “are not interested in signing Holliday” because “corner outfield not a priority for them.”
Two completely contradictory reports about the exact same player coming from two well-sourced, highly respected national reporters on the very same day.
If you choose to believe Morosi, then it’s worth noting that his article about Holliday also suggests that he’s not particularly loyal to the Cardinals after spending just a few months in St. Louis and is likely to end up with an American League team. In fact, Morosi concludes his lengthy piece by writing: “I’m almost certain that means he will be playing left field for the Red Sox, Yankees, or Angels.”
Unless of course Olney’s report is actually the correct one, in which case … well, who knows?
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 1
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)