Nov 16, 2009, 3:26 PM EDT
One of the many things that make offseason rumors so frustrating to follow is that even the most respected names in the baseball reporting business often vary wildly on what they’re reporting.
Today provides a good example, as Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com writes that “the Yankees, who need a left fielder, are interested” in Matt Holliday while Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that the Yankees “are not interested in signing Holliday” because “corner outfield not a priority for them.”
Two completely contradictory reports about the exact same player coming from two well-sourced, highly respected national reporters on the very same day.
If you choose to believe Morosi, then it’s worth noting that his article about Holliday also suggests that he’s not particularly loyal to the Cardinals after spending just a few months in St. Louis and is likely to end up with an American League team. In fact, Morosi concludes his lengthy piece by writing: “I’m almost certain that means he will be playing left field for the Red Sox, Yankees, or Angels.”
Unless of course Olney’s report is actually the correct one, in which case … well, who knows?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)