Nov 16, 2009, 3:26 PM EDT
One of the many things that make offseason rumors so frustrating to follow is that even the most respected names in the baseball reporting business often vary wildly on what they’re reporting.
Today provides a good example, as Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com writes that “the Yankees, who need a left fielder, are interested” in Matt Holliday while Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that the Yankees “are not interested in signing Holliday” because “corner outfield not a priority for them.”
Two completely contradictory reports about the exact same player coming from two well-sourced, highly respected national reporters on the very same day.
If you choose to believe Morosi, then it’s worth noting that his article about Holliday also suggests that he’s not particularly loyal to the Cardinals after spending just a few months in St. Louis and is likely to end up with an American League team. In fact, Morosi concludes his lengthy piece by writing: “I’m almost certain that means he will be playing left field for the Red Sox, Yankees, or Angels.”
Unless of course Olney’s report is actually the correct one, in which case … well, who knows?
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)