Nov 16, 2009, 1:15 PM EDT
* Derek Jeter will host Saturday Night Live next month for the second time, with musical guests Jay-Z and Alicia Keys no doubt performing his pre-at-bat song “New York State of Mind.”
Jeter dressed in drag to portray Alfonso Soriano’s wife when he hosted SNL back in 2001 and several Yankees made cameos, so it should be another interesting show. I’m hoping for a Friday Night Lights/Lyla Garrity skit.
* Fired four days after being named the Diamondbacks’ manager in 2004 because of legal and financial problems surfacing, Wally Backman has now been hired to manage a Single-A team in the Mets organization.
* What did you do this weekend? Clay Buchholz got married to a Deal or No Deal model.
* You can find most of the Circling the Bases crew on Twitter:
- Aaron Gleeman: @aarongleeman
- Matthew Pouliot: @matthewpouliot
- Bob Harkins – @bharks
- D.J. Short – @djshort
- Matt Casey – @mattcasey9
Craig Calcaterra isn’t on Twitter yet, but once he gets comfortable using a VCR and Walkman we’re confident that he’ll join.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 40
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 41
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)