Nov 16, 2009, 1:15 PM EDT
* Derek Jeter will host Saturday Night Live next month for the second time, with musical guests Jay-Z and Alicia Keys no doubt performing his pre-at-bat song “New York State of Mind.”
Jeter dressed in drag to portray Alfonso Soriano’s wife when he hosted SNL back in 2001 and several Yankees made cameos, so it should be another interesting show. I’m hoping for a Friday Night Lights/Lyla Garrity skit.
* Fired four days after being named the Diamondbacks’ manager in 2004 because of legal and financial problems surfacing, Wally Backman has now been hired to manage a Single-A team in the Mets organization.
* What did you do this weekend? Clay Buchholz got married to a Deal or No Deal model.
* You can find most of the Circling the Bases crew on Twitter:
– Aaron Gleeman: @aarongleeman
– Matthew Pouliot: @matthewpouliot
– Bob Harkins – @bharks
– D.J. Short – @djshort
– Matt Casey – @mattcasey9
Craig Calcaterra isn’t on Twitter yet, but once he gets comfortable using a VCR and Walkman we’re confident that he’ll join.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)