Nov 16, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Jeff Blair of the Toronto Globe and Mail says that if the Reds are seriously thinking about cutting bait on Brandon Phillips, the Blue Jays would want him to be their third baseman.
You’ll recall, of course, that the Blue Jays shipped their previous third baseman — Scott Rolen — to the Reds just last season, and that his salary is one of the big reasons that the cash-crunched Reds have to give up guys like Brandon Phillips. You’ll also recall that the Jays received the Reds’ third baseman Edwin Encarnacion in the deal.
Given that the trade apparently filled no holes for either team and harmed one financially, I’m tempted to deem the Rolen trade the most pointless trade in recent memory.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 58
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)