Nov 16, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Jeff Blair of the Toronto Globe and Mail says that if the Reds are seriously thinking about cutting bait on Brandon Phillips, the Blue Jays would want him to be their third baseman.
You’ll recall, of course, that the Blue Jays shipped their previous third baseman — Scott Rolen — to the Reds just last season, and that his salary is one of the big reasons that the cash-crunched Reds have to give up guys like Brandon Phillips. You’ll also recall that the Jays received the Reds’ third baseman Edwin Encarnacion in the deal.
Given that the trade apparently filled no holes for either team and harmed one financially, I’m tempted to deem the Rolen trade the most pointless trade in recent memory.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 7
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 133
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39