Nov 16, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Jeff Blair of the Toronto Globe and Mail says that if the Reds are seriously thinking about cutting bait on Brandon Phillips, the Blue Jays would want him to be their third baseman.
You’ll recall, of course, that the Blue Jays shipped their previous third baseman — Scott Rolen — to the Reds just last season, and that his salary is one of the big reasons that the cash-crunched Reds have to give up guys like Brandon Phillips. You’ll also recall that the Jays received the Reds’ third baseman Edwin Encarnacion in the deal.
Given that the trade apparently filled no holes for either team and harmed one financially, I’m tempted to deem the Rolen trade the most pointless trade in recent memory.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106