Nov 16, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
As least psychically, as the GMs who met in Chicago last are said to be increasingly wary of players moving from the NL to the AL:
His shoulders shrugged. His lips pursed. But Kenny Williams bit his tongue one syllable too late.
“A guy going from the American League to the National League, no disrespect, but . . . There are guys in the American League who go to the National League and
don’t do well, but there are not too many of them
that I can think of.”
The two most familiar reasons for the A.L.’s recent dominance are cited: the DH and, more significantly, the competitive pressures caused by the Yankees’ and Red Sox’ big spending. The latter even affects teams outside of the AL East, as the frequent unavailability of the wild card — the Yanks and Sox usually win it — makes them have to shoot for the division title. In the NL, in contrast, it’s easier in any given year for any given team to make the playoffs.
The differences between the leagues are very real, but I’m skeptical that those differences have yet to result in serious impacts on the free agent market. The alleged poster boy for the phenomenon — Matt Holliday — is probably going to get a large contract from an AL team. I can’t recall any transaction in recent years where actual team sources — as opposed to armchair analysts — cited league differences as a factor in the deal or the price of the deal or anything like that.
Yes, I’m sure the teams analyze it, but I’d be shocked if a team’s front office has actually ever said “No, we just can’t do that deal. The guy’s an NL player, and at the end of the day, I don’t believe he’s worth what they’re asking for him.”
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)