Nov 16, 2009, 11:02 AM EDT
Last week Bob told us all about “Camp Panda,” the intensive conditioning regimen for the Giants’ portly slugger Pablo Sandoval. Fresh details today from the San Francisco Chronicle:
With a host of others, including Giants head trainer Dave Groeschner and strength and conditioning coordinator Ben Potenziano, infielder Pablo Sandoval climbed Phoenix’s Camelback Mountain on Thursday, 54 minutes up, 38 minutes down, and thought he was done for the day.
Then, Potenziano gave him the bad news: another weightlifting circuit and 30 more minutes of cardio.
“He was a little poopy-pants the rest of the afternoon,” Potenziano said. “He wasn’t his happy self.”
Lucky he got the panda nickname first, because otherwise there’d be no way he’d avoid being called poopy-pants for the rest of his career.
Beyond that, however, it’s a fascinating read. The extent to which the Sandoval and the Giants are working on his diet and putting his body through the wringer is impressive. How many times have you wondered what would have happened if a guy like Mo Vaughn or Kevin Mitchell or Dimitri Young had taken care of themselves? With Sandoval, we’re going to get to see it.
That is, if he can keep up the discipline as he heads down to his native Venezuela for winter ball. His trainer is a bit worried:
As Potenziano said, Sandoval is an “icon” in his home country, where people will tackle each other to provide him food and drink.
That includes Sandoval’s family. Potenziano has urged [Sandoval’s brother] Michael to “attack their mom” to make sure she prepares healthy and prudently sized meals.
Moms are rough when it comes to portion control. But can I make one request? Given what’s been happening with ballplayers’ families in Venezuela lately, do you suppose we could use a phrase other than “attack” when it comes to talking about a VZ player’s mom?
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 8
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)