Nov 17, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
The Mets could use a pitcher — they could use a lot of things actually — and according to Adam Rubin of the Daily News, they are seriously interested in free agent Joel Piniero.
Piniero doesn’t walk anyone. Indeed, he was the least walkinest pitcher in baseball, allowing a mere 1.14 per nine innings last year. Such stinginess would be a nice addition to a Mets staff that walks guys like crazy.
So go for it, New York. And why not take a chance on the Mets, Piniero? They have a huge park, they’ll give you a lot of money, and given how bad things were in Queens last year, you’ll be a hero if you do anything other than blow out both hamstrings while running in the outfield on Opening Day.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)