Nov 17, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
The Mets could use a pitcher — they could use a lot of things actually — and according to Adam Rubin of the Daily News, they are seriously interested in free agent Joel Piniero.
Piniero doesn’t walk anyone. Indeed, he was the least walkinest pitcher in baseball, allowing a mere 1.14 per nine innings last year. Such stinginess would be a nice addition to a Mets staff that walks guys like crazy.
So go for it, New York. And why not take a chance on the Mets, Piniero? They have a huge park, they’ll give you a lot of money, and given how bad things were in Queens last year, you’ll be a hero if you do anything other than blow out both hamstrings while running in the outfield on Opening Day.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)