Nov 17, 2009, 10:55 AM EDT
The Twins have a new house, so they have to have new clothes. The duds Mr. Span is wearing to the right are actually the new throwback alternates, which everyone (Span included) thinks look better than the actual new homies. They’ll only be worn at home on Opening Day and on Saturdays, but if the Twins truly want to look sharp, they’ll make those the new regular home uniforms and make the other ones — these guys — the alternates. Sure, they’re throwbacks, but they’re classic looking as opposed to gimmicky. The Twins never looked better than when they wore those things, and they should wear them all the time now.
They also have new road uniforms which, while looking a little Nationals-esque to me, mercifully eliminate the pinstripes, which look truly wretched on gray. In fact, I’d consider an argument that pinstripes looks wretched on everyone except the Yankees, but that’s best saved for another day.
Also gone — well, mostly gone — are the “M” hats. They’ll still be worn (read: marketed) as an alternate, but the “TC” logo will reign supreme both at home and on the road as God and nature intended. The “TC” is choice and never should have been abandoned in the first place.
Sadly, however, Minnesota still insists on having a solid blue alternate jersey, which looks simply terrible. In fact, if I were made commissioner for a day, the first thing I’d do would be to ban the wearing of solid jerseys that don’t match the pants. It looks like softball.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 13
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 51
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 45
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)