Nov 17, 2009, 10:55 AM EDT
The Twins have a new house, so they have to have new clothes. The duds Mr. Span is wearing to the right are actually the new throwback alternates, which everyone (Span included) thinks look better than the actual new homies. They’ll only be worn at home on Opening Day and on Saturdays, but if the Twins truly want to look sharp, they’ll make those the new regular home uniforms and make the other ones — these guys — the alternates. Sure, they’re throwbacks, but they’re classic looking as opposed to gimmicky. The Twins never looked better than when they wore those things, and they should wear them all the time now.
They also have new road uniforms which, while looking a little Nationals-esque to me, mercifully eliminate the pinstripes, which look truly wretched on gray. In fact, I’d consider an argument that pinstripes looks wretched on everyone except the Yankees, but that’s best saved for another day.
Also gone — well, mostly gone — are the “M” hats. They’ll still be worn (read: marketed) as an alternate, but the “TC” logo will reign supreme both at home and on the road as God and nature intended. The “TC” is choice and never should have been abandoned in the first place.
Sadly, however, Minnesota still insists on having a solid blue alternate jersey, which looks simply terrible. In fact, if I were made commissioner for a day, the first thing I’d do would be to ban the wearing of solid jerseys that don’t match the pants. It looks like softball.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 340
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (340)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (151)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)