The Twins' new uniforms are full of win

Nov 17, 2009, 10:55 AM EDT

The Twins have a new house, so they have to have new clothes.  The duds Mr. Span is wearing to the right are actually the new throwback alternates, which everyone (Span included) thinks look better than the actual new homies.  They’ll only be worn at home on Opening Day and on Saturdays, but if the Twins truly want to look sharp, they’ll make those the new regular home uniforms and make the other ones — these guys — the alternates.  Sure, they’re throwbacks, but they’re classic looking as opposed to gimmicky. The Twins never looked better than when they wore those things, and they should wear them all the time now.

They also have new road uniforms which, while looking a little Nationals-esque to me, mercifully eliminate the pinstripes, which look truly wretched on gray.  In fact, I’d consider an argument that pinstripes looks wretched on everyone except the Yankees, but that’s best saved for another day.

Also gone — well, mostly gone — are the “M” hats.  They’ll still be worn (read: marketed) as an alternate, but the “TC” logo will reign supreme both at home and on the road as God and nature intended.  The “TC” is choice and never should have been abandoned in the first place.

Sadly, however, Minnesota still insists on having a solid blue alternate jersey, which looks simply terrible.  In fact, if I were made commissioner for a day, the first thing I’d do would be to ban the wearing of solid jerseys that don’t match the pants. It looks like softball.

1. Bill@TDS - Nov 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM

But allowing them to wear solid blue jerseys with matching pants would be even worse. Then they’d look like pajamas.
    I’m not a fan of the road jerseys at all, but I’m sure they’ll grow on me. At least it appears that there are no pixie vests.

2. jw - Nov 17, 2009 at 11:57 AM

@ Bill@TDS : You mean like the Jays’ solid baby-blue retro throwbacks? It was really silly seeing Frank Thomas waddling around in those overgrown pajamas.
    Man, the Jays need new uniforms and to change the Flashback Friday retro ones to the early nineties home whites.

3. Alex K - Nov 17, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I would argue that the Cubs pinstripes look pretty good.

4. sdigre - Nov 17, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Sit in the MN stands and watch the Scandinavian ladies stroll by and then tell me what you think of those Blue uniforms…

5. Bill@TDS - Nov 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Yeah, a lot like those…the Twins have messed around with them in the past. Not sure if they used them this year or not, but they did in the mid-’00s. Google “pixie vests” and your first few results are Bat Girl (the best team-specific baseball blogger ever, period) complaining about that dark period in Twins history.

6. Alan Kemp - Nov 17, 2009 at 2:50 PM

You are SO right about those hideous contrasting “softball” jerseys that teams wear–strictly bush league!

7. Steve Kusheloff - Nov 18, 2009 at 9:07 AM

I would argue that the Phillies’ pinstripes look pretty good, too. Pinstripes have been part of the Phillies’ uniforms since 1950.

8. custom printed t shirt - Feb 1, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Fantastic post I will definitely be visiting this blog again.

Ace-killer Giants do it again