Nov 17, 2009, 4:31 PM EDT
Sure, $1.25 million is barely a drop in the bucket for the Bombers, but why spend it if you don’t have to?
The Yankees on Tuesday declined Sergio Mitre’s $1.25 million option for 2010, but did so while retaining the 28-year-old’s rights for 2009. That’s because Mitre is short of the six years of service time he’d need for free agency.
Mitre is now eligible for arbitration, and it’s unlikely that he’ll be able to ask for more than $1 million after going 3-3 with a 6.79 ERA in nine starts and three relief appearances in his return from Tommy John surgery last season. The right-hander has a career ERA of 5.56 in 61 starts and 29 relief appearance.
If Mitre isn’t willing to accept a modest one-year deal, the Yankees could always non-tender him next month. But it’s more likely that they’ll keep him around and settle on a contract closer to arbitration season. He should enter spring training no higher than sixth or seventh on the rotation depth chart, so he’ll have a fight on his hands if he’s going to make the team as a middle reliever.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)