Nov 18, 2009, 3:35 PM EDT
Just minutes after Jim Tracy was named Manager of the Year by the Baseball Writers Association of America, the Rockies announced that they’ve agreed to terms with the award-winning skipper on a new three-year contract extension.
Tracy is now under contract through 2012 and his entire coaching staff will return for next season after the team went from last place in May to the Wild Card winners following a 74-42 run with him at the helm.
Colorado is Tracy’s third managerial job. He took over for Davey Johnson as Dodgers manager in 2001 and went 427-383 (.527) with one playoff appearance in five seasons before being replaced by Grady Little, and then went 135-189 (.417) during two years in Pittsburgh. Of course, being fired twice before is hardly noteworthy for a big-league manager.
Five of the previous dozen Manager of the Year winners were fired within two years of receiving the award and the man who Tracy replaced this season, Clint Hurdle, was let go less than two seasons after taking the Rockies to the World Series in 2007. Hurdle finished third in the Manager of the Year balloting that year, with Bob Melvin of the Diamondbacks winning the award. Melvin was fired 191 games later.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)