Nov 18, 2009, 10:25 AM EST
Forget that Dodgers business, FOX’s Ken Rosenthal reported — at 5:38 this morning, because he’s more machine than man — that the Phillies are the favorite to sign Mark DeRosa. As is often the case, he cites a “Major League source.” I’m going to assume that it’s either Dorn or Cerrano.
The thinking is that, unlike the teams who see him as a utility option, the Phils have an opening at third and will pay him what he wants: $5-6 million per of a couple of years. Rosenthal also notes that the dude went to college in Philly. Which I considered minor until I remembered that I work in the same city I went to college, so who am I to judge?
Whether DeRosa’s wrist can hold up to a full season at third and whether his glove is good enough to give the Phillies no reason to regret passing up Adrian Beltre or someone like him is an open question, but DeRosa probably fits in Philadelphia better than he does with a lot of the other teams who are rumored to be interested.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)