Nov 18, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT
Forget that Dodgers business, FOX’s Ken Rosenthal reported — at 5:38 this morning, because he’s more machine than man — that the Phillies are the favorite to sign Mark DeRosa. As is often the case, he cites a “Major League source.” I’m going to assume that it’s either Dorn or Cerrano.
The thinking is that, unlike the teams who see him as a utility option, the Phils have an opening at third and will pay him what he wants: $5-6 million per of a couple of years. Rosenthal also notes that the dude went to college in Philly. Which I considered minor until I remembered that I work in the same city I went to college, so who am I to judge?
Whether DeRosa’s wrist can hold up to a full season at third and whether his glove is good enough to give the Phillies no reason to regret passing up Adrian Beltre or someone like him is an open question, but DeRosa probably fits in Philadelphia better than he does with a lot of the other teams who are rumored to be interested.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)