Nov 18, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT
Forget that Dodgers business, FOX’s Ken Rosenthal reported — at 5:38 this morning, because he’s more machine than man — that the Phillies are the favorite to sign Mark DeRosa. As is often the case, he cites a “Major League source.” I’m going to assume that it’s either Dorn or Cerrano.
The thinking is that, unlike the teams who see him as a utility option, the Phils have an opening at third and will pay him what he wants: $5-6 million per of a couple of years. Rosenthal also notes that the dude went to college in Philly. Which I considered minor until I remembered that I work in the same city I went to college, so who am I to judge?
Whether DeRosa’s wrist can hold up to a full season at third and whether his glove is good enough to give the Phillies no reason to regret passing up Adrian Beltre or someone like him is an open question, but DeRosa probably fits in Philadelphia better than he does with a lot of the other teams who are rumored to be interested.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (252)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (157)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)