Nov 18, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT
Forget that Dodgers business, FOX’s Ken Rosenthal reported — at 5:38 this morning, because he’s more machine than man — that the Phillies are the favorite to sign Mark DeRosa. As is often the case, he cites a “Major League source.” I’m going to assume that it’s either Dorn or Cerrano.
The thinking is that, unlike the teams who see him as a utility option, the Phils have an opening at third and will pay him what he wants: $5-6 million per of a couple of years. Rosenthal also notes that the dude went to college in Philly. Which I considered minor until I remembered that I work in the same city I went to college, so who am I to judge?
Whether DeRosa’s wrist can hold up to a full season at third and whether his glove is good enough to give the Phillies no reason to regret passing up Adrian Beltre or someone like him is an open question, but DeRosa probably fits in Philadelphia better than he does with a lot of the other teams who are rumored to be interested.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)