Nov 19, 2009, 3:10 PM EDT
MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan reports that free agent outfielder Marlon Byrd is unlikely to re-sign with the Rangers after the two sides recently had unproductive talks.
“We’ve had a decent amount of conversation,” general manager Jon Daniels said. “I expect them to test the market. Based on what they’re looking for … we’re not in a position to do that right now. We expect them to talk to other clubs and see what’s out there. We’re going to be looking at alternatives.”
Byrd was the Rangers’ primary center fielder and also saw extended action in left field, hitting .283/.329/.479 with 20 homers and 43 doubles in 599 plate appearances. After a slow start to his career the former top prospect has batted .295/.352/.468 in three seasons with the Rangers, and even adjusting for Texas’ hitter-friendly ballpark that would make him solidly above average offensively among center fielders.
However, his defense in center field graded out poorly this season according to Ultimate Zone Rating, he’s always carried more weight than most center fielders, and he’s 32 years old, so many teams will likely view Byrd as a corner outfielder who can handle center field if needed rather than a full-time center fielder. Texas seems committed to Julio Borbon in center field after he impressed offensively in 46 games as a rookie, leaving Josh Hamilton to man right field.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)