The Nats hire Davey Johnson

Nov 19, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT

The Washington Nationals have hired Davey Johnson as a special assistant.

Johnson was a pretty fabulous manager. His managing days are over
– he has had some serious health and family issues in recent years and after all of that and at his age, he likely
doesn’t have the energy for the 162-game grind anymore — but he’s
still a storehouse of baseball wisdom, and it only makes sense that he
could help a team in some capacity. Good for the Nats for recognizing that.

This makes yet another in a series of bright moves by that team since the firing of Jim Bowden last year.  I’m not sure what snarky baseball bloggers like me are going to do now that Washington isn’t a laughingstock anymore, but I’m sure Nats fans don’t particularly care.

1. dcfan-1212450 - Nov 19, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Great move indeed. The Nats are trying there best from a front office standpoint to become stable. Keep Rigglemen for continuity, hiring Johnson for consultation. These are really smart moves for a struggling club. But it comes back to a Mets free agent signing scenario, looks good on paper, but with that transpire into wins…

2. Old Gator - Nov 19, 2009 at 9:56 AM

That may not be the real Davey Johnson and that vast storehouse of baseball wisdom comprises just too many gigabytes for an organic system to process. I have heard rumors that Davey’s mind was sucked intact into his cyberdeck through his skull jack and that he is now no more than an idoru in the matrix a la Neuromancer. I mean, let’s face it, he was heading in that direction two decades ago. Al Gore may have invented the internet, but I suspect that it was Davey who invented the laptop.

3. Jonny5 - Nov 19, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Old Gator, How long have you been insane for? Also Al Gore doesn’t have the brain capacity to invent anything better than a turd!! J. C. R. Licklider invented it with his ARPA team!!! Don’t believe anything a politician tells you. An old Gator should know better. ;>)~

4. Grant - Nov 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM

This should have been the Orioles, but I’m guessing that Peter Angelos’s continuing presence precluded that. Never should have fired him.

5. GBS - Nov 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I generally enjoy Old Gator’s particular brand of insanity.

6. Old Gator - Nov 19, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Johnny boy, take a step back, take a deep breath, and perouse the entire context of what I wrote. If you still insist on taking me seriously, go get a CAT scan and see if there’s a lesion on your lower right cerebral cortex where your sense of irony ought to be.
    Having said that, I need to go shower and shave because they’re coming to take me away, ha ha, they’re coming to take me away, ho ho hee hee ha ha, to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time….

7. EvilEmpireE2009 - Nov 19, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Washington isn’t a laughingstock anymore ???
    DID THEY WIN THE WORLD SERIES ?
    DID THEY FINISH OUT OF THE BASEMENT IN THE EAST ?
    ARE THEY GOING TO GET SOME MAJOR LEAGUE BALL PLAYERS ???
    YEAH, THEY ARE NOT A LAUGHINGSTOCK ANYMORE (ROLLING EYES)
    DAVEY JOHNSON WAS A GREAT HIRE, DAMN THAT MARGE SCHOTT. DAVEY WAS A GOOD MANAGER.HIS FIRST MOVE WHEN GIVEN THE MANAGER JOB FOR THE WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC, CALL DEREK JETER AND ASK HIM TO CAPTAIN THE GROUP, DAVEY SAID THAT WAS A NO BRAINER.

8. EvilEmpireE2009 - Nov 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Old G , how many time’s must I tell you to wear your HELMET, IT WIL PROTECT YOUR HEAD WHEN YOU BANG AGAINST A WALL.

9. Old Gator - Nov 19, 2009 at 3:31 PM

You obviously ain’t from around heah, boy, or yew would know
    that our recently unlamented former President’s smarter younger brother – so called ’cause he don’t drool as much – repealed the helmet law as soon as he got in office. Really. Was the first thing he done. That’s called freedom, boy – or mebbe he just figgered more brain damaged voters was in his best innerests. Whatever, we don’t got to wear those things any more, and there ain’t nothing Blue Cross/Blue Shield can do about it ‘cept raise their premiums. Weeeee-haaaaah!

10. jonny5 - Nov 19, 2009 at 3:39 PM

It couldn’t be more obvious to me that you were indeed attempting to be humorous. What makes you insane is the fact that you actually think it’s funny!!!! ;>)~ LOL!!!
    Did you listen to Dr. Demento at one time????

11. TF in Tampa - Nov 19, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Hey Gator, fellow Floridian, Its too bad this is such a limited media outlet here where we only get to read your words of wisdom on a random basis instead of witnessing the man behind the mask.
    CONSIDER THIS EVERYONE: The converse of writing words is the lost art of silent language. But its not lost because…………….
    Still able to deliver us his message, Gator becomes his alter ego, Marcel Marceu. He is now able to engage in a whole different medium, MIME! Now what would you all prefer?
    Based upon what I read from him, now that would be truly entertaining!

12. The TC - Nov 19, 2009 at 4:28 PM

You, sir, are a scholar.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5494)