Nov 19, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
There has long been an assumption that either the Yankees or the Red Sox will the ultimate landing pad for Roy Halladay, but it’s just been speculation. It’s getting less speculative, however, as Jon Heyman is reporting that the Yankees have actually called the Jays about Doc.
Heyman thinks that the starting point of any Yankees-Jays talks would be either Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes (last year the Jays wanted both, but probably weren’t serious about trading with the Yankees). Catching prospect Jesus Montero is mentioned, but young stud catchers are harder to find than ace pitchers, and given how old the Yankees’ current catcher is, he’s probably off limits.
One direction Heyman doesn’t mention is the possibility of the Yankees going in with little in the way of young talent, but instead eating Vernon Wells’ deal or something creative like that. That’s certainly something they would have done a couple of years ago, but the Hal Administration has been smarter about taking on big dumb deals lately. They take on big smart deals.
If the Yankees nab Halladay: turn out the lights, baseball, the party — at least for 2010 — is likely over.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)