Nov 19, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
There has long been an assumption that either the Yankees or the Red Sox will the ultimate landing pad for Roy Halladay, but it’s just been speculation. It’s getting less speculative, however, as Jon Heyman is reporting that the Yankees have actually called the Jays about Doc.
Heyman thinks that the starting point of any Yankees-Jays talks would be either Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes (last year the Jays wanted both, but probably weren’t serious about trading with the Yankees). Catching prospect Jesus Montero is mentioned, but young stud catchers are harder to find than ace pitchers, and given how old the Yankees’ current catcher is, he’s probably off limits.
One direction Heyman doesn’t mention is the possibility of the Yankees going in with little in the way of young talent, but instead eating Vernon Wells’ deal or something creative like that. That’s certainly something they would have done a couple of years ago, but the Hal Administration has been smarter about taking on big dumb deals lately. They take on big smart deals.
If the Yankees nab Halladay: turn out the lights, baseball, the party — at least for 2010 — is likely over.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (253)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)