Nov 19, 2009, 10:57 AM EST
There has long been an assumption that either the Yankees or the Red Sox will the ultimate landing pad for Roy Halladay, but it’s just been speculation. It’s getting less speculative, however, as Jon Heyman is reporting that the Yankees have actually called the Jays about Doc.
Heyman thinks that the starting point of any Yankees-Jays talks would be either Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes (last year the Jays wanted both, but probably weren’t serious about trading with the Yankees). Catching prospect Jesus Montero is mentioned, but young stud catchers are harder to find than ace pitchers, and given how old the Yankees’ current catcher is, he’s probably off limits.
One direction Heyman doesn’t mention is the possibility of the Yankees going in with little in the way of young talent, but instead eating Vernon Wells’ deal or something creative like that. That’s certainly something they would have done a couple of years ago, but the Hal Administration has been smarter about taking on big dumb deals lately. They take on big smart deals.
If the Yankees nab Halladay: turn out the lights, baseball, the party — at least for 2010 — is likely over.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 1
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)