Nov 20, 2009, 6:30 PM EDT
The Red Sox have discussed Matt Holliday, Adrian Beltre, Mike Gonzalez and Rick Ankiel with agent Scott Boras, the Boston Herald’s Michael Silverman reports.
There are no big surprises in the list. Holliday may well have taken over as Boston’s top priority following Jason Bay’s decision to reject a four-year, $60 million offer. That’s not to say that Bay is being ruled out, but the Red Sox could essentially exchange the two and actually pick up a draft pick in the process.
My guess is that the Red Sox would target Beltre, rather than Chone Figgins, to take over at third base in the event of a Mike Lowell deal. Lowell, though, will be very difficult to move.
Gonzalez is another long shot, as teams figure to inquire about him as a closer. The Red Sox might be willing to offer him $5 million per year as a setup man, but that probably won’t get the job done.
Ankiel would have made more sense for the Red Sox before the Jeremy Hermida acquisition. Both are left-handed-hitting outfielders with considerable upside. However, it’s doubtful that the Red Sox would be willing to pencil in either as a regular.
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 18
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 61
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 22
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 6
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2