Nov 20, 2009, 6:30 PM EDT
The Red Sox have discussed Matt Holliday, Adrian Beltre, Mike Gonzalez and Rick Ankiel with agent Scott Boras, the Boston Herald’s Michael Silverman reports.
There are no big surprises in the list. Holliday may well have taken over as Boston’s top priority following Jason Bay’s decision to reject a four-year, $60 million offer. That’s not to say that Bay is being ruled out, but the Red Sox could essentially exchange the two and actually pick up a draft pick in the process.
My guess is that the Red Sox would target Beltre, rather than Chone Figgins, to take over at third base in the event of a Mike Lowell deal. Lowell, though, will be very difficult to move.
Gonzalez is another long shot, as teams figure to inquire about him as a closer. The Red Sox might be willing to offer him $5 million per year as a setup man, but that probably won’t get the job done.
Ankiel would have made more sense for the Red Sox before the Jeremy Hermida acquisition. Both are left-handed-hitting outfielders with considerable upside. However, it’s doubtful that the Red Sox would be willing to pencil in either as a regular.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)