Nov 20, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
As Matthew noted yesterday, while Aaron Heilman has started before, he’s probably a better bet to pitch out of the pen. Seems that the Dbacks’ GM Josh Byrnes agrees, as he said last night that Heilman “definitely strengthens our bullpen.”
Remember back when Heilman’s agent made a big fuss over this, saying “The object is to get out of the bullpen. The most success he’s ever
had as a pitcher has been as a starting pitcher. He was drafted by the
Mets as a starting pitcher”?
Yeah, that was objectively wrong — Heilman’s ERA as a starter is 5.93 and 3.63 as a reliever — but even the best of us have a hard time admitting that we’re not as good at what we want to do in life as opposed to what we like to do. So keep an eye on the Dbacks camp come February and wait for the complaining to start.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?