Nov 20, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
As Matthew noted yesterday, while Aaron Heilman has started before, he’s probably a better bet to pitch out of the pen. Seems that the Dbacks’ GM Josh Byrnes agrees, as he said last night that Heilman “definitely strengthens our bullpen.”
Remember back when Heilman’s agent made a big fuss over this, saying “The object is to get out of the bullpen. The most success he’s ever
had as a pitcher has been as a starting pitcher. He was drafted by the
Mets as a starting pitcher”?
Yeah, that was objectively wrong — Heilman’s ERA as a starter is 5.93 and 3.63 as a reliever — but even the best of us have a hard time admitting that we’re not as good at what we want to do in life as opposed to what we like to do. So keep an eye on the Dbacks camp come February and wait for the complaining to start.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)