Nov 20, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
As Matthew noted yesterday, while Aaron Heilman has started before, he’s probably a better bet to pitch out of the pen. Seems that the Dbacks’ GM Josh Byrnes agrees, as he said last night that Heilman “definitely strengthens our bullpen.”
Remember back when Heilman’s agent made a big fuss over this, saying “The object is to get out of the bullpen. The most success he’s ever
had as a pitcher has been as a starting pitcher. He was drafted by the
Mets as a starting pitcher”?
Yeah, that was objectively wrong — Heilman’s ERA as a starter is 5.93 and 3.63 as a reliever — but even the best of us have a hard time admitting that we’re not as good at what we want to do in life as opposed to what we like to do. So keep an eye on the Dbacks camp come February and wait for the complaining to start.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (85)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (79)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)