Lincecum apologizes for harshing everyone's buzz

Nov 20, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT

If Tim Lincecum truly regrets anything, he probably regrets getting caught the most. But he’s pretty hip to the P.R. issues surrounding his pot bust and because of it he offered a statement following his post-Cy Young interview yesterday:

“I made a mistake and I regret my actions. I want to apologize to the Giants organization and the fans. I know as a professional athlete I have a responsibility … both on and off the field. I promise to do better in the future.”

I think the San Francisco Chronicle’s Henry Schulman summed up this business the best the other day: “I know this whole Lincecum story is considered overblown and a joke in Northern California, where many folks probably vacuum more than 3.3 grams of pot residue off their carpets at home, but it’s taken seriously elsewhere and by Major League Baseball.”

I’d argue that in an ideal world it shouldn’t be taken all that seriously, but we don’t live in an ideal world.  We live in a world where people freak out about small amounts of generally innocuous, generally harmless plants while drugs that actually kill a lot of people are allowed to advertise on outfield walls. We live in a world where the same writers who just acknowledged via their awards vote that it’s possible for a guy to take a certain drug and still be a world class athlete also write about how bad a thing it was for that athlete to take that drug.

I understand that Lincecum broke the law and should pay his fine. I also understand that he’s subject to a collective bargaining agreement that tells him he can’t smoke pot, and to the extent that agreement calls for anything to happen to him because of it, so be it.  But the fact that we expect guys like Lincecum or Michael Phelps or whoever to make public apologies like this is a bit much for me.

1. Clarice Sybounheuan - Feb 23, 2010 at 8:21 AM

“Green Smoke offers supreme Electronic cigarettes with disposable cartridges that produce the highest smoke volume in the industry. With a variety of flavors and nicotine levels, Green Smoke’s™ patented product offers convenience and performance that is unmatched. Green Smoke™ products have been independently tested for safety.”

2. Gregory Tutterrow - Feb 23, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I have today decided to find a good vendor of e-cigarettes. A friend recommended Green Smoke According to their website this is how they described their product:

3. Kristie Repine - Feb 23, 2010 at 8:49 AM

I have recently tried to find a good manufacturer of e-smokes. A friend recommended Green Smoke According to their website this is how they described their product:

4. Six Pack Abs - Feb 25, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Well, the article is actually the greatest on this worthw hile topic. I agree with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your future updates. Just saying thanks will not just be adequate, for the wonderful clarity in your writing. I will at once grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Genuine work and much success in your business efforts!

5. Lula Schmied - Mar 2, 2010 at 3:15 AM

maybe you would enjoy my blog, i certainly enjoyed yours.

6. Florrie Mayon - Mar 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Thank you for posting this content, i found it very useful in my business

7. watch tv and movies - Mar 8, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Thanks from sweden for this post

8. north carolina furniture - May 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I usually do not post in blogs but yours is amazing and good work.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3412)