Nov 21, 2009, 2:47 PM EDT
According to Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker, free agent Jose Contreras is considering a move to Japan.
Contreras’ 16-year-old son is hoping
to take part in an exchange program with a Japanese high school.
According to a Sanspo.com report, Contreras reached out to the Hanshin
Tigers earlier this week. Though the Tigers have likely ruled him out,
according to a team source, other teams could have interest in the
Contreras was 6-13 with a 4.92 ERA
and 1.47 WHIP in 28 games (23 starts) between the White Sox and Rockies
in 2009. He was impressive upon his arrival in Colorado, posting a 1.59
ERA and 17/8 K/BB ratio in 17 innings. Whatever his age (he’s allegedly 37 years old, but we all know better), Contreras still has pretty strong peripherals and would likely find success in Japan.
Based on the location of his son’s
school, Newman thinks Contreras would be a good fit with the SoftBank
Hawks and Hiroshima Carp.
By the way, if you are looking for the best blog to keep up with the goings-on in Japanese baseball, bookmark NPB Tracker.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 42
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 29
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 34
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 82
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 87
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)