Contreras considering move to Japan?

Nov 21, 2009, 2:47 PM EDT

According to Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker, free agent Jose Contreras is considering a move to Japan.

Contreras’ 16-year-old son is hoping
to take part in an exchange program with a Japanese high school.
According to a Sanspo.com report, Contreras reached out to the Hanshin
Tigers earlier this week. Though the Tigers have likely ruled him out,
according to a team source, other teams could have interest in the
veteran right-hander.

Contreras was 6-13 with a 4.92 ERA
and 1.47 WHIP in 28 games (23 starts) between the White Sox and Rockies
in 2009. He was impressive upon his arrival in Colorado, posting a 1.59
ERA and 17/8 K/BB ratio in 17 innings.
Whatever his age (he’s allegedly 37 years old, but we all know better), Contreras still has pretty strong peripherals and would likely find success in Japan.

Based on the location of his son’s
school, Newman thinks Contreras would be a good fit with the SoftBank
Hawks and Hiroshima Carp.

By the way, if you are looking for the best blog to keep up with the goings-on in Japanese baseball, bookmark NPB Tracker.

1. Old Gator - Nov 21, 2009 at 3:36 PM

If he goes, tell him to call me first. I have some great udon bars and other restaurants I can recommend to him in Tokyo, a sublime sushi bar underneath theshinkansen station and a fantastic little bakery that makes green tea custard tarts at the south end of Terramachi Dori in Kyoto, the best okanomiyaki restaurant in Hiroshima in case he winds up with the Carp, and if he winds up in Fukuoka I can recommend the best of the teppanyaki bars along the riverfront. Also, he should be warned to stuff balled up tissue paper in his shoes at night to keep the mukade from giving his toes a nasty surprise in the morning. And who knows – some day he might have Contreras bobbleheads sold right along side Matsui bobbleheads at the Shoji Temple bazaar.
    He should also be aware, incidentally, that there’s a little Cuban cafe in the little garden plaza just beyond the south end of the Tokyo fish market in Tsukuji. Really good cafe Cubano and guyaba pasteles, just like Miami.

2. Leonore Macleod - Jan 13, 2010 at 4:50 PM

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

3. Download music - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

4. Early Learning Centre - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

5. MLB news - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM