Nov 21, 2009, 12:24 PM EST
Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune writes that many in the Cubs’ front office feel they would be foolish to give up top prospect Starlin Castro to acquire Curtis Granderson from the Tigers.
Castro, a 19-year-old shortstop has
drawn weighty comparisons to Hanley Ramirez and Derek Jeter with his
play in the Arizona Fall League, batting .376/.396/.475 with one home
run, 10 RBI, nine stolen bases and 18 runs scored in 26 games with the
Mesa Solar Sox. Castro, a native of the Dominican Republic, has a
.301/.354/.403 line over parts of three seasons in the minor leagues.
Though he has improved his stock immensely this fall, Kevin Goldstein
of Baseball Prospectus warns that Castro is becoming one of the more over-rated prospects in the game.
Rogers speculates that “there are a lot of other ways to do the deal”
for Granderson while wondering if new hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo could help his performance against left-handers. Granderson has
a .614 career OPS against southpaws compared to a .894 OPS against
righties. He batted .183/.245/.239 with 10 home runs, 34 RBI and a .696
OPS against left-handers in 2009.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 34
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)