Nov 21, 2009, 12:24 PM EDT
Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune writes that many in the Cubs’ front office feel they would be foolish to give up top prospect Starlin Castro to acquire Curtis Granderson from the Tigers.
Castro, a 19-year-old shortstop has
drawn weighty comparisons to Hanley Ramirez and Derek Jeter with his
play in the Arizona Fall League, batting .376/.396/.475 with one home
run, 10 RBI, nine stolen bases and 18 runs scored in 26 games with the
Mesa Solar Sox. Castro, a native of the Dominican Republic, has a
.301/.354/.403 line over parts of three seasons in the minor leagues.
Though he has improved his stock immensely this fall, Kevin Goldstein
of Baseball Prospectus warns that Castro is becoming one of the more over-rated prospects in the game.
Rogers speculates that “there are a lot of other ways to do the deal”
for Granderson while wondering if new hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo could help his performance against left-handers. Granderson has
a .614 career OPS against southpaws compared to a .894 OPS against
righties. He batted .183/.245/.239 with 10 home runs, 34 RBI and a .696
OPS against left-handers in 2009.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 22
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)