Nov 21, 2009, 12:24 PM EST
Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune writes that many in the Cubs’ front office feel they would be foolish to give up top prospect Starlin Castro to acquire Curtis Granderson from the Tigers.
Castro, a 19-year-old shortstop has
drawn weighty comparisons to Hanley Ramirez and Derek Jeter with his
play in the Arizona Fall League, batting .376/.396/.475 with one home
run, 10 RBI, nine stolen bases and 18 runs scored in 26 games with the
Mesa Solar Sox. Castro, a native of the Dominican Republic, has a
.301/.354/.403 line over parts of three seasons in the minor leagues.
Though he has improved his stock immensely this fall, Kevin Goldstein
of Baseball Prospectus warns that Castro is becoming one of the more over-rated prospects in the game.
Rogers speculates that “there are a lot of other ways to do the deal”
for Granderson while wondering if new hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo could help his performance against left-handers. Granderson has
a .614 career OPS against southpaws compared to a .894 OPS against
righties. He batted .183/.245/.239 with 10 home runs, 34 RBI and a .696
OPS against left-handers in 2009.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)