Mets announce changes to Citi Field

Nov 21, 2009, 4:22 PM EST

Responding to fans who felt the new
Citi Field wasn’t a tribute to the blue ‘n’ orange as much as it was a
baseball field with a neat little entrance way dedicated to Jackie
Robinson,
the Mets announced plans to expand the presence of club history throughout the ballpark for its second season.

- The Mets will rename the park’s
VIP entrances after Gil Hodges, Tom Seaver and Casey Stengel, while the
outfield bridge will be called Shea Bridge, in honor of William A.
Shea, the man who was instrumental in bringing National League baseball
back to New York.

- The team will install the Mets
Hall of Fame & Museum adjacent to the Jackie Robinson
Rotunda. Additionally, a re-formed Mets Hall of Fame Committee,
including members of the media and front office, will evaluate
potential inductees.

- Finally, the team will incorporate
the team colors, logos and full-color banners of Mets players at
various entry points of the park. They’ll also add a few more bells and
whistles, including staircases painted with team colors and blue and
orange flowers in the gardens at Mets Plaza in front of the
Jackie Robinson Rotunda.

Wow. These alterations are so darn
reasonable that it’s almost embarrassing they weren’t implemented from
day one. While the Mets did their fans right today, thankfully these
announcements didn’t include any silly plans to tweak the actual
playing field.

1. GimmeSomeSteel - Nov 21, 2009 at 4:38 PM

If they re-institute the team HOF, I hope they set a reasonable minimum time that a given player had to be with the Mets. Five years sounds about right. In Cincinnati, they use a three-year minimum, which is absurd.
    As for the physical changes, they all sound reasonable to me–and therefore very unlike the Mets.
    A second year of data would be a good idea before making changes to the field itself. One year may be a fluke.

2. Phils4life - Nov 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Who cares…the mets suck anyway

3. peteinfla - Nov 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM

This should really turn the franchise around, huh? Any mention of some changes to, well let’s see – the front office, manager or the personnel they are putting out on the field every day? I didn’t think so. It’s gonna be another long year in Flushing!

4. Bob - Nov 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM

So I guess the qualifications for the Mets HOF will be:
    1. minimum .250 batting average for at least 1 year
    2. less than 50 errors in any year on the Mets
    3. if a pitcher, more wins than losses in any year on the Mets
    4. if a coach, winning boxing record with Don Zimmer
    Guess no future Mets will ever qualify for the HOF …

5. Old Gator - Nov 21, 2009 at 10:41 PM

As long as we’re making changes to the inside of the stadium, howsabout stripping off that repulsive, crass Citibank logo and renaming the goddamned stadium after someone who actually deserves it? This noxious practice of naming stadiums for corporations – in effect turning the place into one big ugly architectual billboard – just contributes to the continuing drain of romance and allure from the game in general. I can’t wait to see what they’re going to name the new Marlins stadium – I would suggest we name it for United Fruit Company, but something catchy, like, maybe, “Macondo Banana Massacre Field.”

6. hop - Nov 22, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Club History? Of what? Losing? They only won 2 WS since 1962 which isnt anything at all to brag about and they have had some of the worse seasons in the history of the game. I wouldnt be too worried about the past, id be hoping the future isnt as bad as the past but it sure looks like its gonna be! hahahahhha

7. Spice - Nov 22, 2009 at 7:41 AM

I am a Yankee fan but I went to Citi three times this year with a friend who has season tickets. It is a beautiful park, well thought out, full of all the amenities that any new park should have. That said, my first reaction, as stated to my friend, was “umm what team plays here, the Dodgers?”
    The first thing you see is a homage to a Dodger (Robinson), you have to look long and hard to find the Mets colors and there is a sad absence of Mets anything. There are far more signs for Citi Bank than there are for the Mets.
    For the sake of the Mets fans I am glad to see these changes.
    When you sell the name of the stadium you really have to make a point of making sure you call out the name of the team and make the place feel like the home of the team. (It would break my heart if the naming rights for YANKEE STADIUM are ever sold). I still don’t know why it couldn’t have been something like Citi Field at Mets Park.
    As for the stupid comments about the teams history: The Mets won their first World Series after 7 years in the league. Took the Phillies nearly 100 years to win their first.
    In their short history they have won 2 world series, played in 4, and sent Tom Seaver to the hall of fame with the highest vote percentage in HOF history. Not a bad start on history.
    In their HOF I am sure you will see Seaver, Hodges, Stengel, Koosman, Hernandez, Carter, Piazza…..
    As I said I am a Yankee Fan, but I have to give the devil his due.

8. Samuel Rosenkranz - Feb 19, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Your post piqued my interest. Please give us a more indepth post if you get a chance.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4837)
  2. M. Kemp (3437)
  3. J. Upton (2510)
  4. J. Kang (2471)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2453)
  1. C. McGehee (2434)