Nov 21, 2009, 9:34 AM EDT
New Padres general manager Jed Hoyer had a two-hour meet-and-greet with Adrian Gonzalez’s agent John Boggs on Friday amid speculation of a possible trade or contract extension for the 27-year-old first baseman.
“We just really got to know each other initially,” Boggs said.
“Obviously Adrian was a large part of the conversation, but there
wasn’t anything concretely decided.”
Gonzalez batted .277/.407/.551 with
a career-high 40 home runs in 2009 while leading the National League
with 119 walks. He was awarded his second straight Gold Glove last
The Padres have him locked
up to a pretty reasonable contract that will pay him $4.75 million in 2010. They hold a $5.5 million option on Gonzalez for 2011, only
enhancing his potential value on the trade market.
I know Red Sox fans are licking
their chops at the prospect of adding Gonzalez, as well they should be.
He is, after all, one of the most unheralded players in the league.
Personally, I’d love to see what he could do outside of PETCO Park —
he hit .244/.413/.446 with 12 home runs and 36 RBI there in 2009 — a
true pitcher’s paradise.
This is a real tough spot for Hoyer.
On the one hand, the Padres have virtually nothing in the way of
contract commitments past 2010, with plenty of payroll flexibility for
a franchise player. On the other, Gonzalez will presumably have the
opportunity to hit the open market at 29 years old, with “Mark Teixeira
money” on the table. It looks like he’ll be too rich for San Diego.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 32
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)