Nov 21, 2009, 9:34 AM EDT
New Padres general manager Jed Hoyer had a two-hour meet-and-greet with Adrian Gonzalez’s agent John Boggs on Friday amid speculation of a possible trade or contract extension for the 27-year-old first baseman.
“We just really got to know each other initially,” Boggs said.
“Obviously Adrian was a large part of the conversation, but there
wasn’t anything concretely decided.”
Gonzalez batted .277/.407/.551 with
a career-high 40 home runs in 2009 while leading the National League
with 119 walks. He was awarded his second straight Gold Glove last
The Padres have him locked
up to a pretty reasonable contract that will pay him $4.75 million in 2010. They hold a $5.5 million option on Gonzalez for 2011, only
enhancing his potential value on the trade market.
I know Red Sox fans are licking
their chops at the prospect of adding Gonzalez, as well they should be.
He is, after all, one of the most unheralded players in the league.
Personally, I’d love to see what he could do outside of PETCO Park —
he hit .244/.413/.446 with 12 home runs and 36 RBI there in 2009 — a
true pitcher’s paradise.
This is a real tough spot for Hoyer.
On the one hand, the Padres have virtually nothing in the way of
contract commitments past 2010, with plenty of payroll flexibility for
a franchise player. On the other, Gonzalez will presumably have the
opportunity to hit the open market at 29 years old, with “Mark Teixeira
money” on the table. It looks like he’ll be too rich for San Diego.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)