Nov 21, 2009, 9:34 AM EST
New Padres general manager Jed Hoyer had a two-hour meet-and-greet with Adrian Gonzalez’s agent John Boggs on Friday amid speculation of a possible trade or contract extension for the 27-year-old first baseman.
“We just really got to know each other initially,” Boggs said.
“Obviously Adrian was a large part of the conversation, but there
wasn’t anything concretely decided.”
Gonzalez batted .277/.407/.551 with
a career-high 40 home runs in 2009 while leading the National League
with 119 walks. He was awarded his second straight Gold Glove last
The Padres have him locked
up to a pretty reasonable contract that will pay him $4.75 million in 2010. They hold a $5.5 million option on Gonzalez for 2011, only
enhancing his potential value on the trade market.
I know Red Sox fans are licking
their chops at the prospect of adding Gonzalez, as well they should be.
He is, after all, one of the most unheralded players in the league.
Personally, I’d love to see what he could do outside of PETCO Park –
he hit .244/.413/.446 with 12 home runs and 36 RBI there in 2009 — a
true pitcher’s paradise.
This is a real tough spot for Hoyer.
On the one hand, the Padres have virtually nothing in the way of
contract commitments past 2010, with plenty of payroll flexibility for
a franchise player. On the other, Gonzalez will presumably have the
opportunity to hit the open market at 29 years old, with “Mark Teixeira
money” on the table. It looks like he’ll be too rich for San Diego.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 13
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 70
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)