Nov 21, 2009, 8:28 AM EDT
According to the Miami El Nuevo Herald, Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman has left Athletes Premier International (API) and agent Edwin Mejia in favor of Hendricks Sports Management.
Now, keep in mind that the article
is in Spanish, and with my loose translation, it doesn’t indicate
whether Chapman broke any specific terms with API, but Mejia was in
line for a significant payday after helping the 21-year-old establish
residency in Andorra in order to guarantee his free agency. API posted articles
about Chapman on Twitter as recently as four days ago.
It’s hard to speculate on exactly why he made the jump, however Chapman may feel more
comfortable about his chances to make the $40-60 million he reportedly
covets behind the more-established Hendricks brothers. They have represented some
of the biggest names in the baseball in the past, including Roger Clemens, Andy
Pettitte and Chris Carpenter.
Stay tuned for more information on this story as it becomes available.
Update: Jorge Arangure Jr. of ESPN.com confirms that Chapman has left API.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris