Nov 21, 2009, 10:35 AM EST
While we’re on the subject of top
prospects, Dustin Ackley, the No. 2 selection in the 2009 First-Year
Player Draft also made news on Friday. Mariners general manager Jack
Zduriencik said Ackley will begin working out at second base in a move that could become permanent.
Ackley, 21, played outfield and
first base with North Carolina, but was drafted as a center
fielder. Zduriencik was careful to say that this would be an
experiment, but Ackley is expected to rise in the system rather
quickly, and with Franklin Gutierrez holding down center field quite
nicely, second base could be a natural fit.
Ackley is batting .315/.412/.425
with one home run, five doubles, 12 RBI and 13 runs scored in 20 games
for the Peoria Javelinas in the Arizona Fall League. He is scheduled to
bat leadoff and play center field during Saturday’s AFL Championship
Game against the Phoenix Desert Dogs.
It’s important to note that Ackley is at least one year away from the majors, but in a semi-related story, the Mariners may consider moving current second baseman Jose Lopez to first base, according to a FOXSports.com.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 50
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 137
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (138)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)