Nov 22, 2009, 9:16 AM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is back with his latest batch of Hot Stove goodies. Here’s a quick run-down of some of the more interesting tidbits:
- Gary Sheffield isn’t done. The 41-year-old slugger wants to return for his 23rd season and he has 3,000 hits on his mind.
“After talking to my wife and kids,” said Sheffield, “they want me to
get 3,000 hits [he's at 2,689]. I want to keep playing, and I know I
can go out and hit at least 25 and maybe up to 40 home runs for some
team if I get the chance.”
So, Sheffield is currently 311 hits
away from 3,000. If we combine his last three seasons, including a very
productive 2009, Sheffield only has 299. Let’s just say the odds are
stacked heavily against him.
Representing himself, Sheffield
hasn’t heard from any teams just yet, however he said he would be open
to being a designated hitter while playing the field a couple of times
a week. Anybody who watched the Mets last season can’t help but
- Cafardo speculates that if the Red
Sox sign John Lackey they could use Clay Buchholz as a chip in a
potential deal for Adrian Gonzalez or Miguel Cabrera. Under this
scenario, the Red Sox would sign an additional starter like Ben Sheets
as insurance for the rotation. Cafardo quotes an American League
general manager who says Casey Kotchman or Jed Lowrie could be valuable
to other teams in a possible trade this offseason.
- The Red Sox are one of at least a
dozen teams to inquire about reliever Mike Gonzalez. Gonzalez, 31, has
had arm and elbow issues in the past, however Boston hasn’t examined
his medical records as of yet.
- Mike Lowell could be asked to play
some first base if his hip doesn’t improve enough to play third base
regularly. According to Cafardo, the idea has been discussed internally.
- J.D. Drew underwent surgery on his
left shoulder last week to repair inflammation he suffered with during
the second half of the season. According to Cafardo, he should be ready
for the start of spring training.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 50
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)