Nov 22, 2009, 5:52 PM EDT
Earlier this morning I wrote about Nick Cafardo’s column from the Boston Globe that mentioned J.D. Drew underwent surgery on his left shoulder last week to alleviate inflammation he suffered with after the All-Star break.
The Red Sox have an out-clause based on the pre-existing condition in Drew’s right shoulder, according to Cot’s Baseball Contracts, but because the the surgery was on his left shoulder, the clause doesn’t come into play.
Boston may opt out of the final two season’s of Drew’s control if he
spends 35 days on the disabled with injuries related to the right shoulder
condition or if he finishes next season on
the disabled list and can’t play the outfield in 2011.
Drew, 34, signed a five-year, $70 million contract with the Red Sox in
January of 2007. He batted .279/.392/.522 with 24 homers and 68 RBI
in 452 at-bats last season. Among major league outfielders, only Ryan
Braun and teammate Jason Bay were better than Drew’s .914 OPS.
He is owed $28 million over the next two seasons, but the recent procedure on his left shoulder shouldn’t prevent him from being ready for the start of spring training.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)