Friedman outlines Rays' offseason plans

Nov 22, 2009, 2:40 PM EST

Rays executive VP Andrew Friedman told Joe Smith of the St. Petersburg Times that the club plans to be active in adding at least one reliever and another catcher to use in tandem with Dioner Navarro.

“We have a list of guys on other teams we have an interest in, and a
list of free agents as well,” Friedman said. “And depending on how the
market evolves on both fronts, it will go a long way toward shaping our
thought process. … We feel like there are a lot of talented names out
there.”

The Rays probably won’t be able to
afford the higher-end relievers like Rafael Soriano or Mike Gonzalez,
however they could have interest in Danys Baez, according to Friedman.
After
missing all of 2008 following Tommy John
surgery, Baez posted a 4.02 ERA and 1.13 WHIP in 59 appearances with
the Orioles in 2009. While his strikeout rate fell to a career-low of
5.02 K/9, his
career-high 60.9% groundball rate was among the league-leaders. Baez
previously pitched with the Rays from 2004-2005.

The Rays will likely have to turn to
trades for a catcher since the position is rather thin among the free
agents, however they appear open to continue talks with Gregg Zaun,
despite declining his $2 million option earlier this month.

Some of the juicier tidbits were
buried at the bottom, but probably for good reason. According to Smith, the Rangers and White Sox
have shown interest in B.J. Upton while the Mets and Braves have
inquired about Carl Crawford. The Rays exercised Crawford’s $10 million
option for 2010 earlier this month, and remain interested in discussing
a contract extension.

1. Old Gator - Nov 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Are the Rays perhaps also considering a major refurbishment of that horrible burial mound they call “Tropicana Field” first? Like painting the hideous thing some actual colors or maybe festooning it with Pokemon? Would they consider getting rid of that stupid radio-controlled miniature camera blimp that blunders around in the rafters like a predator drone with acromeglia? I suspect that if their players didn’t have to report like a bunch of Eloi to that Morlock dome every day, their incipient depression would dissipate and they could start playing to win at home as enthusiastically as they do on the road.

2. jwb - Nov 23, 2009 at 12:36 PM

The real news here is that they won’t be non-tendering Navarro.
    “Blunders like a predator drone with acromeglia.” Lovely image. Mind if I use that, Old Gator?

3. Old Gator - Nov 23, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Take it to your bosom and cherish it; it’s yours.

4. Sherlene Janice - Jan 16, 2010 at 5:18 AM

I just couldnt leave your website before saying that I really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

5. Legalsounds - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

6. Mothercare - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

7. Sports News - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the latest stuff you post.

8. how to get darkrai - Feb 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I’ve been a large fan of poke’mon since I firststumbled on to it. Of course, i have played all of the games and my all time favorite poke’monis darkrai. He’s also one of the toughest pokemon to gather. So Ive foundeda siteto help people how to gatherdarkrai in the pokemon games.

9. Kitchen appliances - Feb 21, 2010 at 4:46 PM

A thoughtful insight and ideas I will use on my blog. You’ve obviously spent some time on this. Well done!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester