Nov 23, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
The Denver Post’s Troy Renck reports that the Rockies are interested in free agent catcher Brian Schneider, late of the New York Mets. The reason: their own free agent catcher, Yorvit Torrealba, is getting calls from the West Coast. Renck thinks it’s probably the Giants. Which makes a ton of sense for them, as long as they don’t give him multiple Buster Posey-blocking years.
Schneider had a terrible year in New York, but it’s not like the Rockies are looking for a starter here. Chris Iannetta has the job, and Schneider can still catch the ball on day games after night games.
Torrealba got his start in San Francisco, signing with the Giants when he was a 16 year-old amateur free agent, and playing on the big club from 2001 through 2005. They knew then that he was a backup and one hopes that they still think of him that way. Bonus: signing Torrealba would mean the end of the Molina administration, making it all the easier to ease Posey into position without any demotion-inducing ruffled feathers on the part of Big Bengie.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 34
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)