Nov 23, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
The Denver Post’s Troy Renck reports that the Rockies are interested in free agent catcher Brian Schneider, late of the New York Mets. The reason: their own free agent catcher, Yorvit Torrealba, is getting calls from the West Coast. Renck thinks it’s probably the Giants. Which makes a ton of sense for them, as long as they don’t give him multiple Buster Posey-blocking years.
Schneider had a terrible year in New York, but it’s not like the Rockies are looking for a starter here. Chris Iannetta has the job, and Schneider can still catch the ball on day games after night games.
Torrealba got his start in San Francisco, signing with the Giants when he was a 16 year-old amateur free agent, and playing on the big club from 2001 through 2005. They knew then that he was a backup and one hopes that they still think of him that way. Bonus: signing Torrealba would mean the end of the Molina administration, making it all the easier to ease Posey into position without any demotion-inducing ruffled feathers on the part of Big Bengie.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy