Nov 23, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
The Denver Post’s Troy Renck reports that the Rockies are interested in free agent catcher Brian Schneider, late of the New York Mets. The reason: their own free agent catcher, Yorvit Torrealba, is getting calls from the West Coast. Renck thinks it’s probably the Giants. Which makes a ton of sense for them, as long as they don’t give him multiple Buster Posey-blocking years.
Schneider had a terrible year in New York, but it’s not like the Rockies are looking for a starter here. Chris Iannetta has the job, and Schneider can still catch the ball on day games after night games.
Torrealba got his start in San Francisco, signing with the Giants when he was a 16 year-old amateur free agent, and playing on the big club from 2001 through 2005. They knew then that he was a backup and one hopes that they still think of him that way. Bonus: signing Torrealba would mean the end of the Molina administration, making it all the easier to ease Posey into position without any demotion-inducing ruffled feathers on the part of Big Bengie.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)