Nov 23, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
The Denver Post’s Troy Renck reports that the Rockies are interested in free agent catcher Brian Schneider, late of the New York Mets. The reason: their own free agent catcher, Yorvit Torrealba, is getting calls from the West Coast. Renck thinks it’s probably the Giants. Which makes a ton of sense for them, as long as they don’t give him multiple Buster Posey-blocking years.
Schneider had a terrible year in New York, but it’s not like the Rockies are looking for a starter here. Chris Iannetta has the job, and Schneider can still catch the ball on day games after night games.
Torrealba got his start in San Francisco, signing with the Giants when he was a 16 year-old amateur free agent, and playing on the big club from 2001 through 2005. They knew then that he was a backup and one hopes that they still think of him that way. Bonus: signing Torrealba would mean the end of the Molina administration, making it all the easier to ease Posey into position without any demotion-inducing ruffled feathers on the part of Big Bengie.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)