Nov 23, 2009, 1:42 PM EDT
As usual the Marlins are going to spend the offseason cutting payroll and trading players making more than minimum salaries, but MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports that they’re “almost 100 percent” certain to keep Jorge Cantu.
On the heels of apparently balking at 25-year-old ace Josh Johnson’s long-term contract demands, the decision to hang onto Cantu of all players is very odd. Cantu is a good but not great hitter, a horrible defensive third baseman who should be at first base, and will likely make more than $5 million in 2010 via arbitration.
If anything he’s one of the guys Florida should specifically be looking to trade, because he’s expensive without being close to an elite player and has only one season left before free agency. Cantu tallied 100 RBIs this year, but his .289/.345/.443 line and 16 homers in 643 plate appearances were hardly special for a first baseman (or terrible defensive third baseman) and he’s a career .278/.323/.456 hitter. For comparison, the average MLB first baseman hit .277/.363/.483 this year.
Cantu would be a decent pickup for a contending team that has money to burn and just needs one more solid bat to plug into a strong lineup, but for a low-payroll team that is constantly forced to juggle players he makes little sense. They could get 90 percent of the production at 10 percent of the cost, add a couple prospects, and use the money saved to actually retain some truly elite players.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)