Nov 23, 2009, 1:42 PM EDT
As usual the Marlins are going to spend the offseason cutting payroll and trading players making more than minimum salaries, but MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports that they’re “almost 100 percent” certain to keep Jorge Cantu.
On the heels of apparently balking at 25-year-old ace Josh Johnson’s long-term contract demands, the decision to hang onto Cantu of all players is very odd. Cantu is a good but not great hitter, a horrible defensive third baseman who should be at first base, and will likely make more than $5 million in 2010 via arbitration.
If anything he’s one of the guys Florida should specifically be looking to trade, because he’s expensive without being close to an elite player and has only one season left before free agency. Cantu tallied 100 RBIs this year, but his .289/.345/.443 line and 16 homers in 643 plate appearances were hardly special for a first baseman (or terrible defensive third baseman) and he’s a career .278/.323/.456 hitter. For comparison, the average MLB first baseman hit .277/.363/.483 this year.
Cantu would be a decent pickup for a contending team that has money to burn and just needs one more solid bat to plug into a strong lineup, but for a low-payroll team that is constantly forced to juggle players he makes little sense. They could get 90 percent of the production at 10 percent of the cost, add a couple prospects, and use the money saved to actually retain some truly elite players.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)