Mauer wins AL MVP with 27 of 28 first-place votes

Nov 23, 2009, 2:27 PM EST

Only a stray first-place vote for Miguel Cabrera kept Joe Mauer from being a unanimous pick for AL MVP by the Baseball Writers Association of America.
Mark Teixeira finished runner-up, with Yankees teammate Derek Jeter placing third, and Cabrera finished fourth while somehow convincing one professional baseball writer that he was the league’s best player.
For a full breakdown of the voting, click here.
Mauer certainly deserved a unanimous selection for putting together one of the greatest seasons by a catcher in the history of baseball. After spending all of April on the disabled list, he hit .365 for the highest mark ever by a catcher and captured his third batting title in four seasons.
He also smacked 28 homers and drew 76 walks to lead the AL in on-base percentage and slugging percentage, becoming the first catcher to ever win the sabermetric triple crown (AVG, OBP, SLG) and the first AL player from any position to do so since George Brett in 1980.
For someone to hit .365/.444/.587 in 606 plate appearances while playing Gold Glove defense over nearly 1,000 innings at the game’s most demanding position is a truly historic season.
Mauer previously finished sixth in 2006 and fourth in 2008 despite deserving more MVP support each time, so adding significant power to his repertoire this season clearly made a huge difference for the voters (everyone but Keizo Konishi of the Kyodo News, that is). He’s the first catcher to win AL MVP since Ivan Rodriguez in 1999 and follows Justin Morneau, Zoilo Versalles, Harmon Killebrew, and Rod Carew as the Twins’ fifth MVP.

1. ochocinco - Nov 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Congrats, Mauer! You deserve it!

2. Dr. Yogi - Nov 23, 2009 at 2:50 PM

The pitchforks and torches are out in MN and they’re looking for Keizo Konishi of Kyodo News. Who the fuck is that? Well, he’ll get the attention he wanted now.

3. SBG - Nov 23, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Time for my favorite Minnesota joke: “The Twins should have drafted Mark Prior.”
    Mauer Pauer!

4. Bergman - Nov 23, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Cabrera gets $200K for gettig 4th place or should I say – Cabrera will be splitting $200k with Keizo Konishi of Kyodo News.

5. Jimmy - Nov 23, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Drinking with the opposing team down the stretch run, strip clubs and domestic battery? Big ups to Keizo Konishi for picking such a class act. Jeter and Teixeira must love that one.

6. Flash - Nov 23, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Likes similar to 2008s Dustin Pedroia win or 2001s Ichiro Suziki.Congrats Joe.

7. jim - Nov 24, 2009 at 2:02 AM

He shouldn’t be eligible after missing an entire month of baseball.

8. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Nov 24, 2009 at 7:41 AM

He shouldn’t be eligible after missing an entire month of baseball.

Why? He was still the best player in the league even after missing a month.

9. Lou - Nov 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM

The fact that he missed a month makes his numbers this season even more amazing.
    Why should a player be penalized for an injury if he still puts up the best numbers in the league?

10. Vinny - Nov 24, 2009 at 11:04 AM

As a Yankee fan I say bravo to Joe Mauer. He’s a great player who had a great year, and he deserves the award. Individual awards are nice, but I personlly would rather see my team win it all. So I’m perfectly happy with this outcome.

11. jim - Nov 24, 2009 at 7:14 PM

less at bats = higher BA and his numbers weren’t the best, just his BA, Tex had the most HR’s and RBI’s.

12. Keith - Nov 24, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Are you kidding me jim, less at bats? Yeah, if he only had ten or twelve at bats the numbers could be skewed. But that’s the beauty of baseball, what can you do over the long haul. Mauer had 606 at bats. Surely, that doesn’t pad his numbers in your mind? Please explain yourself? If anything, the missed month would have given Mauer MORE HR’s and MORE RBI’s.

13. Nancee Cadice - Jan 17, 2010 at 6:14 AM

I know this is really boring and you are skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thanks – you cleared up some things for me!

14. Harris Kuang - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Hi, awesome post, I really enjoyed reading it. This article gave me the momentum to attempt my own article, please check out my blog by clicking my name at the top of this post, Many thanks

15. Gema Loyborg - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Hello there, excellent article, I thouroughly enjoyed reading it. the blog gave me the kick to try my own blog, please check out my blog by clicking my name at the top of this post, thank you

16. Burt Madrueno - Feb 4, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Nice post. My friend Sally told me about this blog some weeks ago however this is the first time I am visting. I am going to definitely be back.

17. Loan - Feb 10, 2010 at 3:41 AM

Some people die. Others become a teacher…

18. Marry Bridge - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I only use de-oudourant under one arm, so I know what I would have smelled of.

19. Karen Equity - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Kiss my ass, and do it fast,suck my dick and do it quick.

20. Nancy Calculator - Mar 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Do not argue I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn’t looking good either.

21. Pat Bridging - Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Thanks for the tips and infos Will visit you next time. I want patience… AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester