Joba and Hughes to be "programmed to start" and other Gammons notes

Nov 24, 2009, 12:29 PM EDT

Peter Gammons who, lest we forget, was working the news and rumors beat when Rosenthal and Heyman were watching “Superfriends” in their mammas’ rumpus rooms, has a number of nuggets this early afternoon:

– The Yankees are content to enter spring training with Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes ready to work as starting pitchers, slotting in David Robertson and Damaso Marte as Mariano Rivera’s primary setup men.  Whether this is (a) the actual strategy; or (b) leverage for a future John Lackey negotiation (“starters? why would we need starters?”) is unclear, but it’s the right choice in my mind.  Give those two every conceivable chance to start and don’t pull the plug unless and until they unequivocally fail in the role.

– Contrary to all of the Granderson-Jackson-Cabrera speculation, Tigers’ owner Mike Ilitch simply won’t allow a fire sale.  This matches up with my handicapping of the situation last week.  It’s easy to react emotionally in the early part of the offseason, but a clear-eyed assessment of the Tigers’ place in the universe right now suggests that they can and will strongly contend for the next few years, and that’s something they should focus on.

– People are questioning Aroldis Chapman’s integrity and character for leaving the agents who “got him out of Cuba.” Um, maybe. But it’s worth remembering that Chapman’s defection was not exactly some harrowing journey at sea. He walked to the lobby of his European hotel and got in a car.  There’s always two sides to every story. Do we know what Chapman’s agents promised him on the market? Do we know whether they’ve been honest with him? Do we know if there is some personal animus between the parties? Players leave agents all the time. Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad.  If I was interested in Chapman, I’d simply ask the guy what the deal was and go from there.

– Billy Beane is a Killers fan.  I’m too old to know if that makes Beane old or not, or cool or not.  The last album I bought was a Stax/Volt soul compilation, so I’m a little bit out of the loop with these things.

1. samjjones - Nov 24, 2009 at 1:09 PM

The Killers are pretty good. Billy Beane hangs and bangs with Brad Pitt now. He is cool.
    Although not as cool as somebody who listens to a Stax compilation set. Doesn’t get any cooler than Booker T.

2. JBerardi - Nov 24, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Liking The Killers makes Billy Beane profoundly uncool, I’m sad to report. At his age, he should have kids who like the Killers, and he should be trying to convince them how much better The Clash was. Actually, the Killers are kinda like what you’d get if you took Sandinista and mixed it with some kind of horrible disco record.

3. EvilEmpireE2009 - Nov 24, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Don’t listen to Craig, Joba is a FANTASTIC set-up man for MO, he has the High Octane FASTBALL and the MANNERISMS and EMOTIONS, HE HAS PROVEN HE CAN HANDLE THE ROLE AND HE CAN TAKE OVER FOR MO, ONE DAY.
    Hughes can compete for the 4 or 5 spot, Ian Kennedy is recovering but he got in the final week of the season.
    Wang could also be in the mix FOR A SPOT.

4. Mode - Nov 24, 2009 at 3:32 PM

EE2009, please stick to your role as “the main reason people hate yankee fans” and leave actually trying to have an educated opinion to other Yankee fans who don’t sound like a serious Sam Kinison.
    Do you not realize that the persona that you’ve created on these blogs gives you absolutely no credability when it looks like you are actually trying to make a valid point.
    Please stay with your all-caps schitck, where we can at least get a little chuckle thinking that maybe you do this on purpose just to get a kick out of other people’s reactions.
    Although, maybe your lack of credibility is a good thing when you spout nonsense like JOBA TO TEH EIGHTH!!1!!!!2!@1!!
    As a Yankee fan, Craig hit it perfectly on the head with Give those two every conceivable chance to start and don’t pull the plug unless and until they unequivocally fail in the role. Which is a sentiment echoed by most level headed non-emotional supporters of the Yankees.
    Wait, are you Mike Francesa?

5. Mode - Nov 24, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Whoops, it sounds like I called Craig a Yankee fan. Many apologies. We all know Craig’s no Yankee fan. I meant as a Yankee fan, I agree with Craig.

6. EvilEmpireE2009 - Nov 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Lady, suck it !!!!!!!
    You are like a fart in blizzard, u don’t know which way to go…..
    that explains your educated opinion!!!
    Why don’t you go play with dolls like you do during the baseball season, which explains your credibility because you obviously have no idea what you talking about or you possibly are really a Pirate fan so you have no idea about wining.
    Mike Francesa would slap you just like me, that should wake you up.
    By the way who are you, ah, I don’t care.GO AWAY!!!!

7. Mode - Nov 24, 2009 at 4:33 PM

There we go EE, that’s more like it. I knew you could do it. Good boy EE, gooood boy, you want a treat? Uh oh, no treat unless you use all-caps.. goooood boy.

8. Cru11 - Nov 24, 2009 at 4:37 PM

He has the mannerisms and emotions? Yeah what a real class act. He strikes out the last 2 batters in the 8th with a 4 run lead and he goes crazy. And please someone tell him this isnt the Big 12 where a tight sweat-stained cap isnt the staple. Kudos to Aubrey Huff for dropping this 3 run bomb on Joba and giving him a dose of his own medicine.

9. Mode - Nov 24, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Wait, so it’s a classless when you do it as a sign of emotion, but it’s classy when you show up the guy by doing the exact same thing?
    Nice logic.

10. Cru11 - Nov 24, 2009 at 8:24 PM

When did I ever say that Huff was being classy when he fist pumped 4 times? He was simply showing how ridiculous it looks when excessive celebrations follow a minor exclamation…i.e. a 3 run homerun in the first inning against the best team in baseball.

11. EvilEmpireE2009 - Nov 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Only a DOG like you would need a treat, GO AWAY LADY.
    I DON’T NEED TO APOLOGIZE FOR ANYTHING, JUST LIKE I DON’T
    NEED YOUR PERMISSION TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS, WHO ARE YOU AGAIN ?
    YOU ARE PROBABLY THE CRAZIEST YANKEE FAN, DO YOU REALLY NEED
    ATTENTION SO BAD.SUCK IT LADY!!!
    MODE IS A MULE

12. EvilEmpireE2009 - Nov 25, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I WILL TELL JOBA GET PERMISSION FROM YOU ON DISPLAYING EMOTIONS, BECAUSE YOU PITCHED IN THE MAJORS, RIGHT. YOU SOUND LIKE A FOOL. WHY DON’T YOU TELL MANNY TO STOP HIS CADILLACIN AFTER HOMERING,
    OPINIONS ARE JUST LIKE TOILET PAPER, WHEN YOU’RE FINISHED USING IT YOU FLUSH IT.

13. Wotlk - Jan 16, 2010 at 5:46 AM

I don’t care what anyone says, Brad Pitt is still hot for his age – even WITH that beard!

14. Leandro Furubotten - Jan 17, 2010 at 4:10 AM

A thoughtful insight and ideas I will use on my blog. You’ve obviously spent some time on this. Well done!

15. Ray (Facebook Emoticons) - Jan 30, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Good! Thanks for this! I found this site from Yahoo, I’ve already bookmarked this site and absolutely will come back again. Thank you!

16. Intex Air Mattress - Jan 31, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I really enjoy reading the articles on this blog. I’ll bookmark this so I can read more later.

17. Breastox - Feb 6, 2010 at 2:04 PM

So are Brad and Angelina together? Have they split up? Whatever… it will be all change in the papaers next week anyway!

18. Kasey Genous - Feb 8, 2010 at 2:01 AM

haha, Brad is so wild! I love him.

All the trade deadline news to know