Nov 24, 2009, 5:51 PM EDT
Very cool stuff from Baseball America, which has gathered Pitch F/X data from the recently completed AFL season. Here were the league’s 10 hardest throwers, as ranked by their average fastball velocity (for a complete listing, check out their blog.
1. Stephen Strasburg (Nationals) – 96.8
2. Sergio Santos (White Sox) – 96.0
3. Tanner Scheppers (Rangers) – 95.9
4. Phillipe Aumont (Mariners) – 94.9
5. Drew Storen (Nationals) – 94.8
6. Kenley Jansen (Dodgers) – 94.8
7. Jenrry Mejia (Mets) – 94.5
8. Scott Mathieson (Phillies) – 94.5
9. Blake Wood (Royals) – 94.4
10. Craig Kimbrel (Braves) – 94.4
Besides Strasburg, of course, many of these pitchers are relievers. Aumont and Storen are two of the game’s very best relief prospects, and both should reach the majors in 2010. Kimbrel isn’t all that far behind. Two of the remaining relievers are former position players: Santos was a former first-round pick of the Diamondbacks as a shortstop and Jansen was a catcher for the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic.
The most encouraging results were from Scheppers and Mathieson. Scheppers was a clear first-round talent in both the 2008 and ’09 drafts, but teams were uncertain about his shoulder. He signed with the Rangers in September after going 44th overall in this year’s draft. Mathieson has been a prospect forever, but he’s dealt with numerous arm problems. That he put together such a good showing in Arizona caused the Phillies to put him back on their 40-man roster, and he might be a possibility for their pen in May or June.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 41
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)